Very gruesome discovery, very sad. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thechickenchick, Jul 15, 2008.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am still stunned. We had kittens born the first of May. We have been keeping them and Mamma in an old chicken coop that we call our kitty house. The windows open ever so slightly at the top. Just enough for Mamma to come and go. She would come over to the house for a few hours during the day to visit. I check on the babies evry morning and night. They were doing great and getting almost big enough to let roam. We have had trouble in the past with stray tom cats killing kittens. We also had racoons take them. We thought these were safe. For some reason I did not go to visit this morning. I just went and found 3 of my 4 pretty babies dead. 1 had a bite wound to its head, 1 the same wound and its rib cage eaten a little. The last one was in pieces to awful for me to explain. The fourth was my favorite, there are no signs of him. Honestly I was afraid to move any more things in htere, I don't want to find him. The one was right by the door when walked in but I had to search to find the others. What could have done this? Its very hard for anything very big to get in there. They were good size by now. Would a tomcat do that at that age? None of the cat food was gone and the new bag was intact so I am assuming it wasn't a coon. Although I don't think one could have gotten in. Do I need to be afraid for my chickens? They are protected but now I wonder if we were just getting lucky until now. I can't believe what I saw, Im just sick and sad.[​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Oh my gosh, I would be sick with sadness, I'm so sorry that happened.

Could you have minks or weasels in your area? They can get thru very small spaces. Please check outside for paw prints or some other evidence you might find. I know it will be hard for you, but please look for the other kitten, she may be out there frightened. [​IMG]

Again, I'm so sorry.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Sounds like a weasal or mink. I think you should go look for the last guy, he may be alive and hiding. I'm so sorry about your babies, kittens are very special to me and I hate losing them too. I hope he's ok.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    When my chick was killed in her pen I took the remains to a vet who said it was not a stray cat or dog, but a natural predator. She could tell this by the brutality of the attack, and the fact that the chick was not dragged off or eaten.

And you might also keep looking for the other kitty.

I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Could it have been rats too? Maybe they dragged away the other one. If not then keep looking, maybe the mom moved it after the attack..

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would guess weasel.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say tomcat......I've had nasty old toms to that to kittens here.

8. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Weasels.

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thank you for all of your kind words. I would have never thought of weasel before, but I have learned a little about their handy work here and that is what it sounds like . I thought I read though that they lived where there was water? We haul our water, the closest source is 6 miles away. Do you think it could stll be weasels? We don't have rats here. I still havn't found the last baby,so maybe..... Well I have been procrastinating the awful job of clean up, but thats the last thing hubby wants to deal with after a 16 hour day. So I had better get to it. Here is a pic, the dark one is the one missing, his name is Yoda. He has huge ears! They were a little younger in this pic and still living in the house. I wish I would have never let hubby talk me into putting them in the kitty house:(.Thanks again everyone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so sorry. I can't imagine how awful this must have been. Hugs.
    Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by