Very happy ducklings (alas, no pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 18, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Why didn't I think of this sooner? I just read a thread about "bored chicks" and it got me thinking.

So today I pulled a bunch of weeds out of the "garden" and tossed them in the brooder. That is one brood of VERY happy ducks. They haven't stopped happily peeping and digging and peeping and splashing in their water dish alternating with peeping and digging in the weeds for twenty minutes. [​IMG] And it was so simple for me--less than three minutes--I didn't chop anything or prepare it in any way--just pulled it up out of the ground and tossed it in.

What do you do to make your ducklings *happy*?

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I was so worried about the feed I got for them when they were babies that I went slug hunting for my little guys when they were still in the brooder. I gathered up all the baby slugs I could find. They went nuts. Make sure to have A LOT of water for them if you do that because it makes them "foam" at the mouth... it's really just slug slime but yuck!

Mealworms too, I went and bought them by the hundreds and put them in the brooder.

Don't forget peas!

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    As soon as I got mine they went outside. They were about a week and three weeks old. I would go out there and give them blueberries then stick the hose in there little pool and flush it out. They loved playing in that water, then I would have to dump half of the water out of the pool till it was only 2 or 3 inches deep so the little one could always stand. We did this every single day and once they saw that baggie full of blue things they went wild. Then once they saw that hose they would start doing that duck stomp dance getting ready for the water. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by