Very hard, plastic sounding eggs! What should I do? PICS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Karen_at_LittleBrook, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Hi- Untill today, in the four weeks that my 25 wk old hens have been laying I have had only 2 odd eggs. They were soft shelled. One soft shell was yesterday and it wasnt in a nest box so I assumed that I had a new layer. I have 18 hens 5 have been laying. I worried about starting the entire flock on layer and oyster shell when only the few had started laying but I did so about two weeks ago.

The problem is, today while one of the Red Stars was laying I heard the egg come out and loudly "clink" on another egg. Not the nice, normal tapping sound of two eggs hitting each other. I paused and waited for her to leave the nest box. There were 4 eggs in the box, the RS egg which was normal, another normal egg and 2 strange eggs. Its not so much how they look but how they feel and sound. They sound like hard, hollow plastic! Almost like terra cotta. The one large egg has a lot of calcium depostits on the shell and the smaller egg's shell is puckered and deformed.

Upon handling these eggs you could tell right away that they were not normal.

Again, my concern is how hard they feel and sound... like hollow terra cotta.

So I have cracked them open. They both cracked easily enough. The shells were a little thick but not what I would say abnormal. The large egg w/the external deposits seems to have tiny bubbles inside the shell and many strange deposits in the white.

The smaller, puckered shelled egg which really sounded like hard plastic looks perfectly normal inside... very large yolk.

Whats up with these eggs? Should I be concerned? Am I feeding them wrong??? They are all on a mix of Purina Layena crumbles & Dumor layer pellets and get kitchen scraps & a bit of scratch daily. Plently of fresh water and free choice oyster shell & grit.

Oh, and the soft shelled egg I found yesterday was very large, was not in a nest box ( I have never had one lay outside of a nest box ) it was actually under the roost and it had two splits in the upper facing shell so I could see the yolk inside. It didnt looked pecked at all, just split open and it was on top of the shavings, not in any indentation like someone had nested. Once opened it looked normal. I suspect that it was my Lt. Brahma's first egg because she didnt come out of the coop she kind of stayed by the egg...

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next two pics are the inside of the large egg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    When mine started laying I was getting all kind of odd ball eggs. I have had some that looked like yours. I have had ones that felt like play dough, and ones that felt like balloons, all kinds of wacky things.

4. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    We've had eggs similar to those at one time or another. I think it's just common for the chickens to work out all the kinks in the begining of laying eggs. We have some that have been laying since July and we still get an occasional oddly shaped egg. The yolks looked fine to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by