very hot chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jadude, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    my bitties are panting they are a week old and have water i have a 100 watt heat lamp about a foot from the floor
    what is the problem

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It sounds like they're too hot. Raise the light higher up.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    katy is right...move it up about 6 inches. give them a half hour, if they are spread evenly under the light, not SMUSHED you have it right. if they are smushed against the walls of the brooder, it's still too hot.

best to your little chicks!

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Is there enough room for them to go away from the hot side of the box? Make sure the water isn't warm and is away from the lamp on the opposite side. (And make sure they are drinking, dip their beaks, etc) You can measure the temp on the litter with a regular people thermometer...see if it's just way too high?!?!? I use a 100W bulb for mine each time...maybe it's too low? or too little of a box? You don't want to bake them! Does it smell like KFC in your house? JK!

5. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    LOL!!

Only on BYC--would I even dare to read this post--

Have you tried frozen vegetables or fruit to cool them down??? I also use frozen ice packs in the waterers during heat waves.

Good luck with the chicks...

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have a 40 watt bulb over ours and they have never huddled like the are cold, just to use each other as pillows! Hannibal does peck at the light though.....

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Are they acting more normal today? I hope they are all ok!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would get a cheap thermometer and put it in with the chicks. that way you can moniter the temps.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I got to admit the "very hot chicks"got my attention too.(darn it)
    I would deffinately get a thermometer in there,I never brood without one. At one week it should be no higher than like 85 degrees.They should also have enough room in their brooder to get away from the light if they need. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by