Very hot in Florida

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cowdogcadillac, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    Lost a Bronze Hen today to the heat. That's all I can figure. She was fine yesterday,not a mark on her except the others were plucking her when I arrived. Plenty of water but all the birds are still hiding in the shade panting. It's brutal here. Guess I'm headed to the store for some box fans. It's terrible when you lose em at full size. Lot's of time and money in feed in her. She was a friendly one who liked to peck at the buttons on my cargo shorts. A darn shame

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Do you keep them in an enclosed coop? Just wondering. I don't have Turkeys right now but I have had them and have a bunch of different types of chickens and I have not lost any to the heat, but they are not in an enclosed coop either and I think that helps some too.

3. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    not enclosed at all,,they have shade cloth,a covered roof or two and lots of water

[​IMG]

4. terri9630

terri9630 Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We lost 2 rabbits and a couple of chickens this summer to the heat. They all had shade and the rabbits had a mister but we still lost some.

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Sorry about your loss. I like your pen, though, especially the log roosts.

One thing about your pen that might contribute to heat is the roof material. It looks like you have a sheet-plastic roof, or a tarp, that lets some light through. You can get greenhouse effects with filtered sunlight even without walls. When we butcher, some of the work is done under a white plastic roof, and if it is humid and sunny, it can be hotter in there than outside. You might want to consider building a couple of small plywood shelters for shade and removing the plastic roof when it is very hot. (You might want to use a thermometer to see how hot it is under the tarp before doing this, to test for a warming effect).

Just an idea, and I'm not sure if it applies to you or not.

Good Luck and cool days.

6. simplycreative

simplycreative In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    Waynesboro, GA
    maybe a big plastic wadding pool?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Just returned from a trip to Largo, Fl. Smeltering there. Just awful.

8. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I am in Cetral Florida and it is HOT!!!!!!!!!! I have lost a few small ones and 4 meaties....I have lost one rabbit as well. Box fans going like crazy too!!!!!!!! When is winter getting here. I loved the "snow"..

9. paduanchook

paduanchook Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    McDavid Florida
    I have my birds in an enclosed pen, but part of it has grown shrub bushes in it. My birds are doing well, they spend the hottest part of day under these bushes and are fat and sassy. I have bourbon reds and a variety of chickens including la fleche, reds and my very own variety. I wish you cooler temps and a early fall!

10. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    the whole pen is covered with shade cloth similar to what you'd put on the side of tennis courts. It lets light thru and breeze. The plastic is only covering the chicken coop and the roost logs. It's hot here and with large trees and wood surrounding the property the breeze is not very good since the woods block it. I've since put box fans and a blue baby pool along with the 3 water buckets of which 2 are auto filling. I guess from the other posters that it is just brutal and the less tolerant animals are having a tough time. These birds are eating and drinking a ton and hopefully they will make it thru till windier weather comes in.

Good luck to everyone else keeping those animals cool .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: