Very hurt hen, pierced vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bryan8, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    I found one of my 22 week old red sexlinks hunched over.

Its vent was red and swollen. I felt it to see what was wrong and it looked like a instestine hung out of the vent. It was a dark red tube. It was really wide and i noticed 2 white things sticking out of each side. I felt this tube and relized something was logded sideways. I pulled on the white thing and a quil from a feather about 2 inches longs came out. It bleed a little and i could see poop. She retracted the tube thing and ran to play with the hens like nothing happened.

What should i of done? did i do the right thing?

What should i do now?

Help

~Bryan

2. NatalieB

NatalieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    I am no expert, but sounds like you did just right. I would double check to make sure the areas that bled are not getting infected. If she now acts like nothing is wrong, I wouldn't worry about it. She is no longer hunched over....that is a good thing! [​IMG]

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    A picture would be great.

If the wound is large it will need to be sewn up. I would put her on Antibiotics and keep her away from the rest of the flock as they might start pecking at her wound.

4. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    she pulled everything back inside of her and i cant see anything but her vent is a little red.

Now i know why one wasnt laying.... and i though she was slackin!!

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I would do exactly as Cammy said. Antibiotics and make sure she is away from the others for a while.

Just a note but if she is eating feathers she is probably lacking in protein and your whole flock might have the same problem. Give them scrambled egg (cooled) mixed with cottage cheese and maybe a small handful of dry cat food once in a while. This is also good for them if they are going through a molt.

Don't forget the antibiotics. Poop and punctures aren't a good mix.

6. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I have heard of sh**ing a brick sideways but never a feather. Poor girl...I would be sure to watch that puncture wound (the best you can). That is a prime location/wound for an infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by