VERY ILL 2MONTH OLD AMERAUCAUNA CHICK

Georgia Nana

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Kathleen, Georgia
I just went out to the little grow out pen where I have 3 two month old Ameraucauna chicks that I hatched myself from my own eggs. My largest, has pea green diarrhea and is fluffed up and unsteady on his feet...When he moves at all. When he does move, it's as though he doesn't know where he is putting his feet. They had no vaccinations, and are housed next to our flock of laying hens. The only addition to my flock is a group of 12 pullets that I bought from a reputable small hatchery (no vaccinations) as day old chicks and who finished growing in the same pen as the one the little ones are in. Last week I sprayed the flock and the chicks with livestock pray (permethrins) that is cleared for poultry. Could that have caused the problem? The only other thing that I have noticed is that this baby does not nor has he ever had a tail (ancona-like). Suggestions would be welcomed! His pen mates are fine!

One of my first guesses would be that he could have Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis commonly affects birds his age, and can strike quickly. It can cause lack of appetite (is he eating?), ruffled feathers, lethargy, and diarhea (though this is usually bloody, not green). It may be a good idea to start a course of Corid (amprolium), which treats Coccidiosis. You should be able to find it at a livestock supply store like Tractor Supply.

Thanks so much for answering my "call"! Even though they are on medicated feed, I put them on Corid this afternoon. I hope that this helps! I hate to lose one, and although it happens to us rarely, I know that it happens. I just hate it so much if it is something that I could have prevented! Wow! Maybe ADM chick starter/grower is not the answer for my babies. Does anyone have a comment about his lack of tail??

My little blue chick recovered completely; however, another of the three is Down. Alert, eating, but cannot stand and lies with a wing and a leg outstretched. I have read that this is a symptom of Mareck's disease. If, indeed, this is the case, WHERE IN THE WORLD DID IT COME FROM? These are homegrown chicks out of my closed flock. What should I do?

If you have a closed flock, chances are very low that you have Marek's. Meaning that there's far greater chance it's something else. If the chick looks alert and eating, I would def. get some B vitamins into her. It may be Thiamine blockage from medicated feed. But I like to give all the B's. If she's looking sickly, treat for cocci.

Think about the possibility of mold, fungus, or anything like that as well.

Back
Top Bottom