1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

VERY ill chick. Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ravenna, May 10, 2009.

1. Ravenna

Ravenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    SLO County, California
    I have a 5 day old silkie that is VERY ill. She went downhill so fast starting Saturday. They came in Friday. Very weak, droopy, thin. I got her to drink sugar water yesterday, but now she won't drink or eat. Her poops are a bright yolk-yellow and runny like a yolk. She keeps laying down flat. Her eyes are always closed, they won't open even when I go to pick her up. Externally everything looks good. I go to poke her and she is still alive (she seriously looks like she is dead! [​IMG]) Every other chick is healthy (all from the same hatchery, same day) and thriving. I don't have her isolated. They are all on pine shavings, eating chick starter. She was fine when she came in! What should I do? Let nature take it's course from here? [​IMG] This is my first batch of chicks so I don't know if it's normal to lose a few to unknown causes?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Ravenna, it sounds like this little chick is going to pass. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Sometimes they fail to thrive and we don't know why. [​IMG]

3. Ravenna

Ravenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    SLO County, California
    Quote:Thank you very much! I appreciate the support! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by