Very Ill Chicken.. Time to put her down?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick chicks, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chick chicks

chick chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Any help is appreciated. I had a very nasty roo who picked on this one hen and she had seemed to have mostly recovered from it but now after we have gotten rid of the roo she is acting as if she has had a stroke. She is eating and drinking alright but she can't walk, everytime she tries to stand up she loses her balance and falls over backwards, she is looking to be in very bad shape (all the feathers have been pulled out of her head by the roo) Her legs don't seem to be getting any better, I have tried giving her electrolyte water to see if she can keep up her strength and see if she recovers but she is in such bad shape, is it time for me to put her out of her misery? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How long have you been treating her? I would keep her separate and give food, water and rest for several days, maybe a couple of weeks, before I gave up and put her down. She needs to be alone where she doesn't have to compete for food and water, because if the others notice she is sick, they will attack her, probably keep her away from what she needs.

3. chick chicks

chick chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    It has only gotten this bad over the last few days, I really don't want to put her down but it's so sad to watch her struggle. I will wait a bit before deciding. Thank you for answering

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by