Very Ill chicken

BabeMj

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2022
Hi y’all my chicken has been tired the past 2 days thought it may have been from the heat. But today she isn’t moving won’t drink or eat on her own her balance is very off sometimes she’ll try to stand and fall over. Her neck also twists in weird ways like she can’t control it. It also seems like there may be dry blood from her mouth and nose? Please help

There could be more than one cause of symptoms, but we may not be able to figure out what they are. We can, however, treat the symptoms.

Heat stroke absolutely can cause these symptoms and can be treated. Be sure the chicken is cooled down to normal. You can judge if a chicken might have a fever or is overheated by the unnatural cherry red comb and wattles. It's important to cool her down by slipping cold compresses under her wing pits.

Then give her cool water with electrolytes added, including a little extra sugar.

If this doesn't improve her symptoms, add B-complex and vitamin E 400iu to her supportive care. Give these vitamins with egg.

There could be more than one cause of symptoms, but we may not be able to figure out what they are. We can, however, treat the symptoms.

Heat stroke absolutely can cause these symptoms and can be treated. Be sure the chicken is cooled down to normal. You can judge if a chicken might have a fever or is overheated by the unnatural cherry red comb and wattles. It's important to cool her down by slipping cold compresses under her wing pits.

Then give her cool water with electrolytes added, including a little extra sugar.

If this doesn't improve her symptoms, add B-complex and vitamin E 400iu to her supportive care. Give these vitamins with egg.
Do you think it’s possibly mareks? She is about 2-3 years old got her when she was about 6 months

These symptoms are not likely from Marek's. That's all I can say.

Treat the symptoms as I suggested. Often, that's all we can do. Even if I was a certified vet, it's not possible to diagnose over the internet without seeing the chicken, and you haven't even posted a photo of her, which would be helpful.

These symptoms are not likely from Marek's. That's all I can say.

Treat the symptoms as I suggested. Often, that's all we can do. Even if I was a certified vet, it's not possible to diagnose over the internet without seeing the chicken, and you haven't even posted a photo of her, which would be helpful.
99DA9CCD-0115-4FE1-8A46-05FBDC1A370D.jpeg

Found her like this morning. Gave her vitamin e yesterday was able to give her water and some egg. She is still bobbing her head very little but seems like she is paralyzed. I’m so worried this is mareks

She's dying. You need to prepare for it. If you're fearful of this being Marek's it will then be wise to either confirm it or get peace of mind with a different diagnosis. This can only happen if you are prepared to get her to a lab as soon as possible after she dies as only a necropsy will give you this information.

If you give us your location, we can help you find a lab nearest you.

She's dying. You need to prepare for it. If you're fearful of this being Marek's it will then be wise to either confirm it or get peace of mind with a different diagnosis. This can only happen if you are prepared to get her to a lab as soon as possible after she dies as only a necropsy will give you this information.

If you give us your location, we can help you find a lab nearest you.
45A11B99-983A-46FF-8D26-8D0CB00560ED.jpeg

What could these sores on her ear be? And if it is mareks how long will my other chickens live? This is so sad

Marek's isn't necessary a death sentence. It doesn't always mean the entire flock is doomed.

And there is no evidence that this is what you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom