Very ill chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HuskerHens18, Jun 21, 2018.

1. I was gone for FOUR days, and in that short span of time all hell has broke loose. I'm losing chickens like crazy with no symptoms, and now today there are symptoms and I don't know what to do.
    I had one hen sent in to the University and nobody has called or emailed back yet.

Ages range from almost 4 months to 2 years.
    All different breeds.
    My youngsters are fed Medicated Chick Start and Grow.
    My older ones are fed Purina Layena Omega 3.
    Everyone is currently being treated with Sulfa powder for Eimeria, but the treatment is almost done. I've been treating for almost 21 days as instructed by a vet. However I'm not convinced yet that the Eimeria is gone.

I've lost chickens from all age groups and both sexes.

My Golden Laced Wyandotte hen suddenly is walking very strange. She's overly swinging her hips to the point it nearly knocks her over. Her poop is green and yellow. I have been trying to break her broodiness for over a month now, every time she starts getting better, she goes right back to sitting. I've destroyed the nests, removed the eggs, thrown her out, put her in a broody buster, she just wouldn't quit and now she's acting like this. 20180621_141851.jpg

It has been raining, so maybe it's just because they're a little damp, but even when my chickens are in the safety of the coop, they're constantly fluffing up their feathers and shaking their heads. They look totally dry to me though. I thought I heard a couple sneeze, but I never heard it again while I was out there.
    When I was sitting there observing them, they appeared irritated. They were pecking and fighting and chasing eachother out of the coop.
    They just overall do not look like the happy, perky birds they usually are.
    Yes they're eating and drinking.
    No one is "droopy".

I'm trying to keep track of their weight but I can't do it alone so they haven't been weighed in about two weeks so I doubt it's the same. I have the notebook if you guys really need to see it.

It's been brought up before on a previous thread by someone much more intelligent than I, so I'm wondering if I really do have Mareks Disease? I'm attaching more poops that look really weird and unhealthy. Unfortunately I didn't catch who pooped which.
    20180621_141901.jpg 20180621_141906.jpg 20180621_141912.jpg 20180621_142050.jpg 20180621_143450.jpg

And the absolute most alarming poop is: 20180621_142028.jpg and there's little droplets of blood all around the floor. Stupid me didnt catch this before I let them all out so I cant figure out who is/was bleeding.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there something I can do now while I wait for the Necropsy results? :(

2. lcwmt

lcwmt Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    N Central MT
    have they been exposed to any toxins? rat or mouse bait for example? or "bad feed?

3. No, the feed seemed fine to me, looked fine and smelled fine. I'd had the bag about a week before giving it to them, but it was stored in a protected, dry garage. I do not have the bag anymore though, so I guess the only thing I'm unsure of is when it was made. It's not expired though, I know that.
    And no poisons, I learned my lesson the hard way not to use it.

4. It has been raining probably a week straight, could that cause anything?

5. Morrigan

Morrigan Crowing

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    Who was looking after your birds while you were away? Is it possible they did or fed something different? The bloody poop looks worrisome to me.

ChickNanny13 and SurferchickinSB like this.
  6. dlastra

dlastra In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    I would get the poop tested by a lab

7. Morrigan

Morrigan Crowing

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    I agree with this. It sounds like you are already working with a vet.

8. My father and younger sister. According to them they never fed my chickens, that the feed I put in the feeders lasted the whole time(I have a 50lbs feeder). One thing that worried me is when I got home nobody had water and it was extremely hot, but everyone did have food. I watered them right away and all seemed okay except for one chicken who was limping pretty severely. I've been home since Sunday, so I've been here all this week and things just seem to be getting worse. Trying to pry information out of these two is like pulling teeth, they swear up and down they did everything I asked and nothing happened. It's just odd I've now lost 5 chickens and possibly a 6th if my GLW keeps going downhill. I hope the university gets back with me fast, I've spent so much money at the vet I'm tying to hold out until we know what's going on for certain.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  9. lcwmt

lcwmt Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    N Central MT
    that's good, it was just a random thought on my part. Hope someone can help you figure this out!

HuskerHens18 likes this.

10. I did send some in on Tuesday, but I think he's waiting for the Necropsy results to send me everything at once, because he's fairly good at getting back about fecal float tests. But I will definitely send in more, I have an appointment on Monday. They're a busy business.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by