Very important

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rancher hicks, Aug 6, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    DD just found out there was lots of wrong info on her credit report.
    Applied for credit and found lots of phoney names and debts.

Folks check your record and those of your minor age children.

Rancher

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

this kind of identity theft has been runnin rampant lately and it really ticks me off.

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    it is really disgusting that hard working people have to get ripped off by lazy scumbags that want a free ride.
    can someone post how to check your credit report (for free, hopefully)?
    thank you!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You can check your credit report at annualcreditreport.com it's free once per year.
    If you want your credit score there is a fee, but it is not neccessary to check your credit. And if you want to print out a copy do it before you log out.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Don't go to free credit report(It's not free)

Be very careful with information you give out to strangers.

A couple weeks ago I had a person come to the door claiming to be a comcast rep with photo ID etc.

He tried to sell me on changing to comcast. I don't buy from door to door salesmen so I was just barely polite. He then said I owed comcast $680+. I said that's kind of funny as I've never had a comcast acct. He then spelled my name first and last slightly incorrectly. I told him he had my name wrong and if they had my name and address why had i never received a bill? He then called "the office" I could hear the person on the phone saying Yes I owed the money from a previous address. I asked what was the address and both said that it was confidential information. Hmmm, now I'm not allowed to know my own previous address. He then said he'd put the new account in another name. What? This is when I asked him about his ability to leave the neighborhood before the police made it into the neighborhood.

The next day I was visiting with one of my neighbors and she had a similar experience with him.

Door to door phishers. Who'd of thunk it.

So I finally went on line and checked my credit wondering if someone was using my name. No comcast acct, no owed money, all the info was correct.

Imp

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    See the thing isn't that someone stole her identity, it's that when creditors can't find the person they're looking for they just stick it to anyone with a similar name. I get people calling for a Micheal Moore. We have a Mike just not a Moore.

I once had a lot of mail/bills come to my apartment that were not mine. Same first and last name just a different middle initial. So the creditors report the debt to the address and the credit bureau sticks it under the name with that address.

They had a list of names with my DD's first name some alias last names and some with her maiden and married name.

Also no one thinks to check their minor childrens soc. sec. credit report but crooks steal the social and use it. Then when the minor goes to get credit they find they've got a lot of things on their report.

My SDL's sister found out her mom used her social sec. number to get credit. Now they only way she can do anything is to either live with it or have her mother sent to jail.

So check those credit reports and if necessary send your mom to jail. (just kidding).

Have a nice day

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by