Very Interesting Drake/Hen.....

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
20230315_202655.jpg

This is Jax. I'm not 100% sure about his age, but I suspect he hatched late Spring/Summer 2022. Since this duck doesn't have a drake feather, still has an audible quack, shows absolutely no interest in even attempting to mount a hen, even one that's basically begging, has an incorrect (more feminine) bill color, I'm beginning to suspect something else is going on. At such a young age, I wouldn't suspect a damaged ovary but what about a deformed ovary? Has anyone experienced anything like this? He was already feathered out completely whenever I got him, so I'm not sure about anything before December 2022. He was sold to me as a drake. Please share if you've ever seen anything like this. I'm tagging @Pyxis in hopes of getting her input, but I welcome anyone to chime in. Thank you for your time.

Side note: All of the SoundCloud links are to the same recording. Had trouble linking it.

Listen to Jax.m4a by HeatherKB on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/GMFfS

Last edited:
View attachment 3450027
This is Jax. I'm not 100% sure about his age, but I suspect he hatched late Spring/Summer 2022. Since this duck doesn't have a drake feather, still has an audible quack, shows absolutely no interest in even attempting to mount a hen, even one that's basically begging, has an incorrect (more feminine) bill color, I'm beginning to suspect something else is going on. At such a young age, I wouldn't suspect a damaged ovary but what about a deformed ovary? Has anyone experienced anything like this? He was already feathered out completely whenever I got him, so I'm not sure about anything before December 2022. He was sold to me as a drake. Please share if you've ever seen anything like this. I'm tagging @Pyxis in hopes of getting her input, but I welcome anyone to chime in. Thank you for your time.

Side note: All of the SoundCloud links are to the same recording. Had trouble linking it.

Listen to Jax.m4a by HeatherKB on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/GMFfS
It's possible you were sold an old hen. When duck hens get old they frequently start to develop male characteristics, and will even go so far as to dominate real drakes and take over breeding the hens, though obviously it wouldn't work.
I'd be really interested in vent sexing it. The breeder may have made an honest mistake in thinking it was a drake. Have you asked the breeder? I have never had call ducks so I don't know about their coloring and genetics at all. Or it could be a sterile drake. Those are always screwed up. Idk.

It's possible you were sold an old hen. When duck hens get old they frequently start to develop male characteristics, and will even go so far as to dominate real drakes and take over breeding the hens, though obviously it wouldn't work.
I'd be really interested in vent sexing it. The breeder may have made an honest mistake in thinking it was a drake. Have you asked the breeder? I have never had call ducks so I don't know about their coloring and genetics at all. Or it could be a sterile drake. Those are always screwed up. Idk.
That's interesting...

This duck came from a very reliable breeder. Trust me. So while I think it was an honest mistake, I know she (he?) isn't old.

She has spoken to the breeder.

Can you teach her how to vent sex?

Back
Top Bottom