VERY irregular egg-laying: small eggs, no eggs, soft shells - all in the same chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashleyd, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ashleyd

ashleyd New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    I'm looking for insight into the egg-laying behavior of one of my hens - a two-year-old RIR. For the first year of her life, she laid like a champ, but this spring through now her egg-laying has been almost non-existent. Is this a reproductive system problem?

She has gone several weeks without laying at all, but she shows no signs of being egg-bound. She did have an illness that I diagnosed as worms (very runny poop, no appetite, lethargic), so I dosed her with Valbazen. She perked up shortly thereafter and even laid a few (albeit irregularly shaped) eggs. She still seems pretty healthy, but now she's resumed her boycott on laying.

In between, she has laid a few tiny eggs with no yolks and soft-shell eggs, but not many.

Has anyone else had experience with a hen that has stopped laying? Is there a treatable underlying disorder? Thanks for your help!

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Is there signs of another problem that could cause this?

3. ashleyd

ashleyd New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    She has had sour crop and leg mites. She's by far my most unhealthy hen, overall! Poor girl. I treated the sour crop with an antifungal; it cleared up and hasn't come back. I treated the leg mites with vaseline, and the mites seem to have gone away too. Her legs look much better now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by