very irritating neighbors please help me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coachwife2004, Dec 16, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I have 5 cochin hens that are almost a year and 4 domineckers* that are4 months, everyone was doing great although they are segregated by their own accord well the little neighbor girl came by the other day without me knowing and lured two of my little hens away to their house the next day they went back....... so I locked them up for a week in the coop/pen let them out they went back again......uggg now all four of my little hens are going daily then they doing want to come back at night and I've already lost one to the cause because they didn't come home for the night please any help would be great!

2. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    UM, how about actually talking to your neighbors?

Novel idea.

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Only thing that will work in an urban environment is to make a secure and spacious run for them to stay in full-time. Anything else invites complaints or losses to your flock. [​IMG]

4. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    I agree with sommrluv. Just go and talk to her with her mother .She maybe just be playing with them ,but you should make sure that she is not doing something to hurt them . Good luck

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would build an enclosed run,and let the parents of the child know you do not want the daughter playing with the hens....or in your yard.In some states you are liable if a trespassing child is harmed in your yard.

6. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    i say just talk to them ! if her daughter is just playing with them and they keep going back over there they must like her. if you did not mind her playing with them just explain to her that they need to stay in your yard or if they walk with her explain that she needs to walk them back home when don playing. when i was 12 my neighbor across the street had six ducks , me and my best friend would go and play with them all the time, with her permition of course [​IMG] we would walk them to a near by pond and supervise there swim time and then walk them back home again! the ducks loved it and she did to as she was usualy working and couldnt always take them.

7. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    If I was a little kid and my neighbor had chickens, I'd want to play with them too.

However, it's your job to keep your chickens in your yard. Put up a fence if you have to.

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:DING DING DING DING

We have a winner!!!!!!!!

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, and also may I add that this kid maybe feeding them something that they should not have. YOU need to keep your chooks in your own yard. [​IMG]

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Our hens found the neighbors new mulch had tasty bugs. Egads! Thankfully I noticed before they did much scratching. We went out and chased the girls back across the fence line with lots of noise/yelling and waving of arms. This apparently did the trick because they havent been back over. I think that they were traumatized by the chaos.

So, maybe watch for them to head that way and head them off a couple of times. They will find being chased is not worth the 'goodies' that they find at the neighbors.

Just a thought....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by