1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very itchy 5 month old sebright

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poonam, Aug 31, 2011.

1. poonam

poonam Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Hi folks, i have a 5-6 month old sebright who seems to be very itchy. it may just be that she's preening, but she does it somewhat aggressively, and goes at her vent a lot. she also itches her legs quite a bit, but her legs dont look excessively scaly.

She has even pulled out/lost a few of her tail feathers.

i've looked in her feathers and her skin and I don't see any obvious signs of lice or mites or any other external parasite.

nothing funky about her skin either. I just see some new feathers coming in.

Is this normal?

Poonam

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Right below her vent is a type of sac that she is getting basicaly a cleaning solution to clean herself. Make sure she has access to dirt so she can dust bathe.[​IMG]

3. poonam

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    thanks:) she dust bathes all the time and preens herself a lot! is the losing of tail feathers an odd thing?

4. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    If you have a rooster it is. Sometimes the Roosters will pull out feathers if they mate a lot. Other than that she might be molting.

5. poonam

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    is it possible for a 5-6 month old pullet who hasn't laid yet to be molting?

6. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    does she have enough room to play? is she getting bored? maybe you need to get some toys or something interactive for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by