Very Large Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cindlady, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    I have a hen (I don't know her breed, she was given to us. She's reddish brown.) that has laid eggs over 90 grams about once a week for the last 6 weeks. The rest of them run in the extra large to jumbo range. The rest of the flock seems to run about in that range too. I was just wondering if this is unhealthy, it has to be hard to lay! Yesterdays egg was 96.4 grams!

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    First of all, [​IMG]

Second, can you post pictures of your ladies? That will help the experts here identify your bird and know what size eggs you should expect from her.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Cindlady

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    [​IMG][/img]

Ok, I finally got the pic.s of my chicks on my computer and (I hope) figured out how to post them. I think she id a Rode Island Red, but I'm not sure, she was given to me by my son, and he doesn't remember.

4. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    that would be my guess too! or maybe a RSL??

also [​IMG] and congrats on the huge egg [​IMG]

5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha and [​IMG]

I must say that is a huge egg. It might be a double yolk egg. I believe that your hen is a Red stars, a red sex-linked hen. They are known to lay large eggs. So congrats! Jumbo eggs are great for baking!

6. Cindlady

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Quote:The weird thing is, it was a single, I only got 1 double from her. The eggs seem to be getting a little smaller, still in the high end of XLg to low Jumbo. I think because it's getting colder. Also I got 6 new hens since I posted. Maybe when it gets warmer they will get big again. I was just worried because it seemed so often and don't want it to be too hard on her.

Thanks for the feedback![​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some hens just lay large eggs. I sold one of my EXTRA Large layers to a sweet woman in Congress... she's quit laying now but when she starts up again, she's going to see some big eggs.

Looks like your hen is a RSL... maybe a Cinnamon Queen. They lay large and often. Congrats!

8. Cindlady

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    What ever she is, she's a very nice chicken! Good temperament, great layer! Queen of the flock! LOL... the 2 black Australops I have act as her "body guards". Funny as hell to watch. If one of the new ones decides to go after her, her 2 body guards will run to the rescue and flank the 'bully"!

9. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Although my Black Sex-Link chickens lay VERY LARGE eggs, my Buff Orpington hens laid eggs the size of Duck Eggs !!! HUGE I also lost some of those Buff Orpingtons to being "egg-bound". The eggs they laid, I guess, were just TOO Big !!!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by