1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Large Meat Bird That looks like Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by heymikey, Nov 14, 2009.

1. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Hey, Someone was telling me today that they saw some meat birds at a flea market today that looked similar to Barred Rocks but were close to 16lbs live weight in 14wks. Anyone know what these could be? He didn't know the breed.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oftern I see Barred rocks at the live poultry processor. Just they have been bred big for meat and are on bloiler feed thats all. [​IMG] but they are BR

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

The only thing that I know of similar to a barred rock is a cuckoo marans, very similar.

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    heymikey, S&G Poultry in Alabama (they have a website) have a colored broiler called a Johnny Gray that may have been what your friend saw. Also, Reich Poultry Farms, Inc. in Pennsylvannia (no website) have what they call a Barred Silver that they advertise as " mature in 17 weeks and weigh up to 12 pounds". A friend raises these and I got the number but it was too late in the summer to get them. I'm considering them for next year. Call them (8 to 3 Eastern) and they'll send a brochure 866-365-0367.

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I always was told they are "kosher kings" but they probably have plenty of names for them....

6. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    A local educational farm out here raises the S&G johnny greys, they are huge at 8 weeks and really, really tasty. I took one home as part of a class and it was a 5+ pounder, dressed.

7. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    were can you get these chicks?

8. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by