Very Late Eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady233, Feb 14, 2013.

1. chickenlady233

chickenlady233 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

My Chicks Were due Last Monday, One Hatched a day early, on Sunday. Now It Is Thursday. When The One hatched early, I immediately opened the incubator and put the wet chick in the brooder. Now I have anothher batch of chicks due to hatch this saturday. Should i throw the eggs out? This is my first time hatching but I have had some experience before with unseccussful hatches. I Have done everything correct, or so i think. i keep the temp 99.5 and the humidity up to 50% first 18 days, increase to 70% last three days. I dont Know what i should do, are they duds? I really appreciate your help![​IMG]
    -Valerie

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If one hatched and it was put in the same time as the other eggs I would say they are likely duds, but I would candle anyway just to be sure.

3. chickenlady233

Feb 3, 2013
    I Candle them a lot, I can clearly see that the embryos have been growing, they are all opaque. they don't let any light in at all. I Cracked one open, sadly, only to find a fully developed chick curled up in a pile of yolk. [​IMG]

Happy Valentines Day!![​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    so sorry to hear this. Have you calibrated thermometers an hygros? also you may wish to try dry hatch methods please refer to my notes https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

also if your hatch is over day 21 you can read info here on how to check for viability https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

I wish you luck with your next hatch! Maybe you can join the Easter hatchalong and so many people will always be availble for support too! AND GREAT PRIZES are to be had! Link is below in my signature!!

5. chickenlady233

Feb 3, 2013
    The eggs still haven't hatched. But I have another batch that started hatching the day before yesterday, I had to help one out, but she seems to be fine. I had to put some gauze on her because she hasn't absorbed all of her yolk yet. Another one was having problems too, she was fine when she hatched, she was perfectly normal. Then I put her in the brooder. I walked away for about an hour and I came back to see if anymore had made it out of the egg yet. I looked in the brooder and she had yolk and brown liquidy stuff coming out of her stomach! Her little foot got caught in it and she pulled it off of her stomach. Ever since last night when this happened, she has been very weak and isn't walking properly anymore. I have been keeping an eye on her but im not sure what to do, any ideas/similar expieriences? I now have five hatched from this batch, and only one has hatched from the other one.(the one I mentioned in this thread) It is their 27th day in the bator. Time to throw them out?

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's time to throw out the 27 day eggs. It's great you got some brooding mates for that lone chick.

Yolks not absorbing is a sign of too high humidity. I really think you'll have much better hatch rates at dryer levels. 40-45% first 18 days then 55-60% last 3 (keep in mind that humidity will go up from there as they hatch). I even hatch dryer than that the first 18 days but I monitor the air sack to adjust if too small or large.

7. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I would say crack the 27 day old eggs to make sure. I was on day 30 and I was just going to throw them out, but I carefully cracked each one open, and I got 2 chicks out of 3 30 day old eggs. I could have thrown away 3 baby chicks! Carefully crack each egg jopen at the big end and see if the chick is breathing and if it is, help it out. If it is dead, bury it. PM me if you have any questions!!! I would he glad to help!

1 person likes this.
  8. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Check out dry incubating- it has made a world of difference for me! Glad you got some fuzzy wuzzies!

9. chickenlady233

Feb 3, 2013
    I am too! They are so adorable!

10. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    have you thrown them out or cracked them open yet!?:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by