Very Lathargic sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rmbruno, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rmbruno

rmbruno New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    Hello

I have a sick Astrolorpe, she is almost 2 yrs. old. It first started with an impacted crop. We purged her and fed her yogurt and water. She perked right up. That was yesterday, today she is unwilling to eat or drink and won't stand up. She is pooing alittle but it is very yellow, runny and sort of like "egg-white" consistency. Any ideas on what it could be?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Has she been laying eggs? could one have broken inside of her, you might want to put on a glove and use vaseline and very carefulluy go into the vent and see if you can feel egg shell or egg. Also you can give her a nice soak in a pan of warm water sometimes that will help to relax her if she is egg bound.. don't know if that is it, her poo color could just be from not eating. Just trying to throw out some thoughts.

3. rmbruno

rmbruno New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    She is not laying, but thankfully she is not egg-bound. I suspect she doesn't have enough energy for egg production. It is comforting that the poo consistency may have to do with not eating. That would make sense. She hasn't eaten without encouragement for about a week. Thank you for your suggestion.

4. Richyadey

Richyadey New Egg

Oct 31, 2012
    Uk
    Did you resolve your problem, I am having the same thing with one of my girls at the moment, any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by