Very Lethargic and very smelly poop

penny131

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
I had another thread for a different bird but thought it may be best to post separately for this one because the symptoms seem a bit different and she’s just not doing well at all. I am not even sure what to do. I am realizing she’s older then I thought and we haven’t seen eggs from her yet at all. Could she already be egg bound? I have not noticed any signs of laying from her.

The yellow on her beak and feathers are egg yolk. I need to bathe her today.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

splash australorp, I think around 19-20 weeks

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

a few days ago it seems like her foot was hurt, checked for Bumblefoot or an injury and nothing. Then she just stopped walking altogether. A day or so later so started seeming pretty lethargic and that had just gotten worse. Now she won’t eat. She will drink a little at a time if offered. Her poop in the last day has become SO SO stinky. Like it smells so bad.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Maybe around 5 days or so is when things first started

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

we just had a polish chicken not walking at all for a couple weeks but she was eating and drinking just fine and was never lethargic. Her poop also was always normal And after dosing her with vitamin b she’s up and totally normal again.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

she had been doing some feed crumbles strawberries and water but now not much of anything. She will eat teeny bits of egg yolk. We’ve tried yogurt.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

yesterday it started to become runny and kind of a green color. And it started to gradually smell bad. Today it smells horrid. Like soemthing died it smells so bad. It was normal until yesterday.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I started corid last night on a whim. She seems old for it but she’s had it in the past. Her poop doesn’t seem nearly as runny this morning but who knows.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I’d like to treat myself if possible but I just don’t even know where to start.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I have her in a crate alone right now with pine shavings.

Attachments

• 4F9C0D1A-9795-4842-9582-56F2483CCD8B.jpeg
    4F9C0D1A-9795-4842-9582-56F2483CCD8B.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 6FDAD281-1696-4FF1-98E6-1361B5305737.jpeg
    6FDAD281-1696-4FF1-98E6-1361B5305737.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 15
Greetings penny131,

There could be a crop problem. Check the hens crop to see if it feels like it is filled with food. Is it hard with food, or bloated and soft, or flat and empty?

Next, check the pullets mouth. Look for any growths or things that don't look right. Canker presents with yellow or whitish growths.

Greetings penny131,

There could be a crop problem. Check the hens crop to see if it feels like it is filled with food. Is it hard with food, or bloated and soft, or flat and empty?

Next, check the pullets mouth. Look for any growths or things that don't look right. Canker presents with yellow or whitish growths.
Her crop is very empty. Nothing I can see growth wise in her mouth.

Can you have a fecal float test done for her at a local vet? Worms or other protozoans like giardia can cause digestive symptoms.

She is at point of lay, but doesn't seem to be displaying egg bound symptoms. They will usually stand in a penguin stance and fluff up, and look ill.

Super smelly poop is a concern. Do you free range your chickens? If so, she may have eaten something that isn't digesting properly, a lizard or large grasshopper. She could have also gotten into some contaminated water.

She needs to stay hydrated. Administer some electrolytes to her orally, and put some in her water. Perhaps some watermelon diced very tiny, very wet mash. If you can take her to see a vet that would be best. She could have a staph infection. If she does she'll need an antibiotic for this. Do you have any antibiotics? I know you want to treat her yourself, but if this is a bacterial infection and you don't use appropriate meds, she may not recover.

These are my thoughts on your pullets health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Oh, I am truly sorry to hear that your pullet passed away. Yes, she may have had a fast moving infection that just overwhelmed her. You did what you could for her.

God's blessings to you for peace and comfort at this time. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom