Very lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheekiechickie, Mar 2, 2015.

1. cheekiechickie

cheekiechickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    We brought home 6 new chicks within the past 5 days. The first 3 days every one was fine, but then one girl we noticed was... calmer than the rest. She was alert, eating drinking and moving, she just seemed to like to sleep. Then last night she looked funny sleeping, and when I went to pick her up, she barely was moving her head. Did some digging and sat up all night with her on some ones chest being given drops of water with sugar and honey, also boiled an egg and gave egg yolk and her starter feed. This morning she seemed alert again and was moving about, but then this afternoon is non responsive. She is not moving at all now, but still breathing. There hasn't been any swelling anywhere, no diarreha or bloody stool. Since we found her last night she hasn't been down with any of the other chicks. What is causing this? Could it spread to the other 5 chicks? Is there any thing that might pull her out of this? Can any body help answer my questions? Please please please!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You could try putting electrolytes in her water and keep trying to feed her wet crumbles and eggs. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. They go through quite a lot in transport and it depends on if she went without food longer than the others(hatched earlier) or wasn't really ready for transport (hatched last). maybe she got too cold. it's so hard to know what happened. I hope she makes it.

3. cheekiechickie

cheekiechickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks. She still isnt moving about on her own but does want to eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by