Very lethargic chicken-advice please!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychic, Sep 22, 2010.

1. happychic

happychic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi, I'm new to BackYard Chickens, and I really appreciate any help/advice. My black sexlink (hen) is very lethargic today. I noticed she seemed not quite right yesterday. And now her eyes keep closing, even when she's standing up. I don't know of any wounds she would have. She also felt really light when I picked her up this morning. When I fed them some carrot/celery scrap treats earlier she showed some interest and pecked for a minute or two and gave up. I think she has runny poo. Her bedding is shavings. I'd like to treat her at home. What should I do? Thank you

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Is she sneezing or coughing? I had an Easter Egger who had a period of time where she was the same, no other signs but lathargic. The one thing I would suggest is vitamin/electrolyte mix in water. That's a safe place to start. When my girl was sick she wouldn't drink water, but she was so lathargic I would gently press her beak into the water and she finally drank with me helping. There is poultry vitamin mix, like pedialyte for chickens, if you have any I would put a little in water.

3. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thank you, I may have to force her to drink because I don't think she has had any water all day. She hasn't been wheezing or sneezing and her nose/beak area is dry. She's been molting, but the top of her head is almost bald. Is this normal? Thanks for the advice.

4. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    Sorry to double post. Her poop is dark green and white and there is some white stuck to her backside. I brought her inside and made her drink and she ate a tiny bit of yogurt but wasn't interested in her grain/corn mix at all. She doesn't want to stand, but after drinking she will for a minute or two. So, that's progress I guess, but I'm still very worried about her. I don't have any electorlytes right now, just keep on making her drink periodically. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks...

5. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    UPDATE: She has been drinking some, but eating nothing all day. So we set her outside in the grass and she gobbled down bugs, a few pieces of grass and drank some more water. Then she spit up all the water. Is this a symptom of something being wrong with her crop?

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    She more than likely has a slight crop impaction. Try giving her some olive oil and then massaging her crop very gently. Sometimes you can turn her upside down while opening her mouth, and gunk will come out.

7. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thank you Oregon C.G. for responding [​IMG] I'll keep trying... She seems to have more strength today, but spit up again this morning and still runny poo. I'm hoping that's progress. Thanks again!

8. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    UPDATE: My hen seemed to be doing better, but she isn't going down to drink her water. She perked up a little when I set her out with the others to roam today, but she wouldn't have left the coop on her own. She pecked a little bit and walked a very little, but I had to carry her back to the coop and force her to drink some more. Now she is just laying there, and she still has diarhhea. This is after worming and now first day of antibiotics. Any ideas what's going on with her?

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor dear hen. Could be crop issue - do a search under 'crop impaction' and under 'sour crop' using 'search' tab above and see if you think either is a match.....There is a lot of info...

JJ

10. happychic

Sep 14, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thank you, JJ. Although at first her crop was swollen and squishy, the olive oil/yogurt and massaging seemed to resolve it. I never felt a hard lump which I think is what you look for in impaction? Not sure. I don't think she's going to make it though. She's barely responsive this morning and laying down funny. I've seperated her from the others. Not sure if it's worth the trauma of disturbing her to try and make her drink. She doesn't even have the strength to hold her head up.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by