Very lethargic chicken. Need help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaJay, Aug 9, 2013.

1. DaJay

DaJay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Northern SC
    I have a white leghorn hen who is 5 months old. She has been fine up until the day before yesterday. I noticed something that looked like cooked scrambled egg yolk apparently coming out of her butt. I have seen some soft (very soft) shelled eggs in the morning, but since they were young, I didn't' think much of it. Yesterday evening I went to give them treats and she was no where around. Then bed time and she showed up and I could tell she didn't feel good. This morning she stayed on her roost, tail down, closing her eyes, crown flopped to the side. I had to leave for work. Came home early looked every where for her and couldn't find her. Just shortly ago, I found her just standing under the deck with tail drooping. We brought her in gave her a short warm sink bath to clean her butt. Put a few drops of olive oil on her beak. (which she drank) Massaged her croup. It was soft and small a tiny bit squeeshy. Felt her area around the vent to see if it felt hard. Offered her watermelon and raisins, which she took none of. Wrapped a towel around her and I sat on the couch. She got off the towel after a few minutes and I could see her vent and she was looking like she was going to poop. After a minute or two she laid an egg. Complete but very soft shelled. Like a water balloon but more fragile.
    A thin string of clear fluid came out after it. They never lay in the evening. I took her outside into the pen, by some scratch grain, pellets and fresh water. She just stood there for a few minutes and then started looking around. Walked to the water and drank a bit, then pecked the ground a few times. Jumped up on her roost and then I left to come in and type this. Any one have any idea what is going on? I have searched this form and every thing looks so similar with symptoms.
    One egg I found on the ground had a thing that looked like a long tape, but I am almost positive it wasn't a tape. I threw it in a flower pot thinking if it were in organic it would be the same when I got home. It shriveled up by the time I got home. I have also include another photo of an egg I found last week. The yolk was on the ground the white was still n the shell. But look at the egg. Can someone please help me??//
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    When hens first start to lay,eggs can look funny. Here is a link to better understand.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. DaJay

DaJay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Northern SC
    Thank you. I have read her site quite a bit.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she is still not feeling well,have a look at Coccidiosis,she does have some symptoms. Few symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,fluffed feathers,weight loss.

Check her for impacted crop.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. DaJay

DaJay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Northern SC
    Well better news today. She was out with the other girls and was happy to see her meal worms. She still doesn't look a hundred percent, but at least she was moving around and pecking at stuff.
    I am going to try to give her a few more drops of olive oil this evening and feel her croup again. She was very happy to get her grape this morning also. Thank you all for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by