Very Lethargic Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by summerrrjl, May 3, 2017.

1. summerrrjl

summerrrjl New Egg

May 5, 2016
    Kansas
    I have a 8 week old Light Brahma named Lola. She came to us with four others from McMurray's Hatchery when she was 5 weeks old. They were vaccinated for common chicken diseases, such as Marek's and Cocci, etc. Since then, the others have moved outside to socialize with our current chickens.

I came down to their run about a week ago to see Lola wasn't feeling that well. She was not moving and had all of her feathers puffed up. We had a Marek's outbreak a couple of years back, so I wasted no time getting her inside and starting her on probiotic and electrolytes. I got her in the house on Wednesday and, on Friday, started her and all of the other chickens on a five-day Corid water treatment (my mom had done research and seen that many of her symptoms matched up with Cocci).

She is still in the house. I have a heat lamp partially in her area. She eats and drinks regularly, but never gains weight (I pick her up and I can feel her bones). She likes to dig in the shavings, which is normal for her, and she still perches. Her poop is still runny, but she is starting to produce smaller droppings. She has been outside to have some fresh air, she seemed to do okay. She still puffs out her feathers and remains somewhat stagnant from when I leave for school to when I get back. We ended the five-day treatment and now exclusively put electrolytes and probiotic in her water.

I guess my main concern is her weight; she feels so frail. She doesn't fly out of her bin like she used to and I just want to get a different perspective and opinion on her condition. Is there anything I could be missing?

- Summer

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I would recommend that you see if your vet will do a fecal float test for worms/parasites. Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds, but not all will do it. Call around and ask. Worms is a fairly common cause of weight loss and runny droppings. Could be something else, but worth ruling out.

3. summerrrjl

summerrrjl New Egg

May 5, 2016
    Kansas
    Thank you!
    I will call around and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by