Very lethargic chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ch8ckenhelp, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Ch8ckenhelp

Ch8ckenhelp Chirping

Nov 17, 2017
    This morning when I went to check on the chickens, I saw one of my RIR's who was basically sleeping on the roost with her head almost dangling towards the ground, like she couldn't keep her head up.
    I grabbed her and looked her over, and it seems like she had something go with her egg. I didn't feel any lumps or anything when I lightly massaged her abdomen, but she had egg yolks all around her vent. Her comb and waddle are very cold and pale. I soaked her in some warm water for about 20 minutes, and then I tried to get her to drink. She won't drink water on her own, so I used a small dropper and gave her some water mixed with a little vitamin c and some probiotics.
    She's been here for about an hour now, and she has moved a bit more since I brought her in, but she's still spending most of her time sleeping.
    I already have a chicken in my little hospital cage, so I don't have anywhere to put her until this afternoon, when the other chicken gets out. Since she's not moving a whole lot, I set her down in this chair next to me.
    She will get up and stand for a minute, but she seems to just barely be able to hold herself up. I just want to figure out what's wrong with her and see if there's anything I can do to help her.
    @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @dawg53
    @casportpony
    15380557495741939368581.jpg 15380558053821743570785.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    you could give her an episom salt bath to reduce any swelling she might have.the right amount for it is on here somewhere.and do you have any oregano?

dawg53 likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If an egg broke inside her, infection will quickly set in and she'll need an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or doxycycline. You can provide her comfort care; place her in warm epsom salt water as silkiemother mentioned to relax her and ease any pain.

Eggcessive likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have some Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes, I would give her some and water. A spare bathtub, dog crate, or laudry basket can work well for a sick chicken. Having an egg burst inside or having been egg bound, really can take a lot out of a hen. She may have a problem with impacted oviduct or internal laying. Hopefully, she will perk up and start feeling better soon. If you cannot get antibiotics as recommended by Dawg53, I would check with your regular dog or cat vet to get some.

dawg53 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: