Very lethargic hen

Jamber

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
Hatching
I have a 1 1/2 year old hen, she looks like a leghorn but she lays green eggs. She has not been laying well the last few months, she's only laid a few eggs and the one she has laid are missing their shells. Other than that she seemed to be fine. The last few days however she has become lethargic, her comb is a light pink color instead of a nice red color. She will leave the coop but a lot of times she will just walk out and lay down in the grass. She has lost weight, I see no signs of mites/lice or bumblefoot or any worms. She is not sneezing or sneezing. Her eyes are clear. Her bum is curved. We did try giving her Epsom salt bath the other evening, I checked her vent to make sure she's not egg bound. we have provided vitamins and electrolytes, we hand feed her. I have done tons of research and have done everything I can to try to help her and figure out what's wrong and nothing is working. Does anyone have any idea what possibly could be wrong with this lady?

In the last 8 months we have had two barred rocks with egg laying issues. One had an egg break inside, the other "laid" several eggs that split open in process or simply laid the white and yolk with membrane following from mid-December to mid-February.

By the time we got her to the vet, she was in bad shape - drooping wings, standing completely still in the yard, wouldn't really eat. First thing the vet said, change the feed to a pellet feed (we had been feeding loose feed) because she felt the pellet feed would deliver the calcium more effectively.

Because of the eggs leaking out of her a few times, the vet assumed that our girl had egg yolk peritonitis which does not generally end well for chickens. She was so bad off, we were considering euthanizing her. She was given Metacam for pain. She did not get better not also got no worse. After three weeks, March 13, she laid a lash egg. Again, a bad sign. Then we started her on Clavamox 3x a day.

It was a slow go, weeks of gradual progress, but she is her old self. Her eggs have changed though. Prior to December, she laid smooth brown eggs with perfect insides. Now, her eggshells are a bit gritty on the surface and most of her eggs have "meat bits" in them, but she lays 5 days a week.

My guess is you have something similar. If you can, get her to a vet or get her some meds. Let her recover in time.

Hatching
I have a 1 1/2 year old hen, she looks like a leghorn but she lays green eggs. She has not been laying well the last few months, she's only laid a few eggs and the one she has laid are missing their shells. Other than that she seemed to be fine. The last few days however she has become lethargic, her comb is a light pink color instead of a nice red color. She will leave the coop but a lot of times she will just walk out and lay down in the grass. She has lost weight, I see no signs of mites/lice or bumblefoot or any worms. She is not sneezing or sneezing. Her eyes are clear. Her bum is curved. We did try giving her Epsom salt bath the other evening, I checked her vent to make sure she's not egg bound. we have provided vitamins and electrolytes, we hand feed her. I have done tons of research and have done everything I can to try to help her and figure out what's wrong and nothing is working. Does anyone have any idea what possibly could be wrong with this lady?
Poops normal? Any specific traits to the lethargicness?

Poops normal? Any specific traits to the lethargicness?
She actually is not pooping much, what she has passed is somewhat watery but firn at the same time. Yesterday she was able to walk around, move a little bit but she did not do much. We separated her and she is in the house with us now and it doesn't seem like she can really even stand or walk anymore. Her comb has become paler as well and she will only eat few blueberries here and there, nothing else 😔

Back
Top Bottom