Very lethargic maybe paralysis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Winston, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Winston

Winston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I just checked my chickens and found a hen that was laying on the floor. Her body was sideways but her head was up straight. My chickens usually do not let you touch them but I picked her up with no resistance. I placed her on a table and she did not seem to be able to stand. I could not find any injury. She appears physically fine. After a thorough investigation I put her back with the others and she clumsily went into a corner. In my books it seems like botulism poisoning, but it said they should die within 24 hrs. Yet I noticed a hen 2 days ago not on the roosts at night but on the floor by the nests. She was in a dark nook so I thought she might just be broody. Now I think it was this hen, which means this has been going on for atleast 3 days. What could it be? I am not particularly worried if I need to loose this one. I really just need to know if I should dispose of her immediately for the others saftey? Or can I let it play out and see what happens? Is this a disease? poison? Help! Thanks.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you thought about internal or external parasites that could eventually infect the rest of your birds? Or some type of disease that has 3 days or longer incubation period to infect the rest of your birds? Something to think about.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. Winston

Jul 13, 2011
    The rest of the birds seem fine. When I checked this morning I could not tell which bird it was. Maybe she hit her head? I will keep a watch on them.

4. hanselong

hanselong Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I think one of my 3-year-old hens just developed the same symptoms - did you ever figure out what happened or what it was?

5. Livi

Livi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
  6. Winston

Jul 13, 2011
    I believe it was botulism. We lost her in a couple of days. We lost another one about a week later. I had changed their drinking water around and I think they were drinking out of my pond and some other suspect locations. I think she got the botulism from one of these sources. It was either that, or they were getting severely dehydrated because of the change in water location. I added more waterers and all was fine. Mine was not Mareks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by