Very long nails

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eagleman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    I just noticed that one of my hens has very long nails. They are in fact so long they are starting to curl a bit and turn to the side. The other hens all look okay but I am worried this is a potential injury or, at the least, uncomfortable. She seems fine and is getting around just fine.

Should I do anything? Do they need to be clipped? If so, what is the best way to do it?

Is there a way to prevent this: perhaps she needs access to a harder surface? The run she is in has soft ground but there is also a wooden ladder to the coop, a wooden awning that they spend a lot of time on and a big log that they sometimes stand on....

Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks so much!
  2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Sometimes chickens just get really long claws. We just use a pair of human nail clippers and clip them but it's probably safer if you get a pair of cat nail clippers. They don't pinch as much as human ones and it's a little easier to get them 'round a claw.
  3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    a pair of silkies i got had really long curling nails. I used a dog trimmer to cut them back using the same stoping point as my dogs. Seems to have worked and didnt hurt them at all since i didnt go back to far.
  4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    I basicly use the large human toenail clippers and try to clip them before they get way too long and tough to cut.I have even used one of the PediPaws nail grinder's on a couple of roo's before that got bad spurs.It usualy takes 2 people to hold them and get them clipped or grinded down.
  5. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks everyone...looks like chicken wrangling and pedicures are in my future!
  6. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have to continually clip one of my cochins toenails, she walks very daintily so she doesn't ruin her feet feathers [​IMG] so they never get worn done. I use dog toenail clippers and it doesn't seem to bother her a bit.
  7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hmm...I have a SLW who is about 5 or so years. I got her from an old friend of mine who wanted to re-home her as she was her only chicken and seemed lonely. Since I've had her she's had pretty long toe-nails. They curve a little, causing her little toes to roll a bit to one side. It doesn't seem to hurt her, she gets around fine. Should I try to cut them? I'd preffer to leave them if she's not in danger of permanently hurting herself, I don't know how good I'd be at giving a pedi to a chicken [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by