Very Loud Chick

felidaet

Songster
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Vancouver, Wa.
I picked up my first seven chicks this last weekend. (13 more this Wednesday:)). Tonight I noticed that one of them chirps much louder than the others. It is a White Leghorn. The other six are other breeds. Are White Leghorns louder than most other breeds? Or is this a sign of potentially being a roo? By loud I mean the volume. It is not chirping any more than the others. They are all quiet at night. They only chirp during the day when they are active. They are one week old.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

As Mahonri suggested, loud chirping could mean some type of discomfort or stress, such as cold or loneliness. So observe and see if you see anything. Since it only does it during the day and chirps no more than the other chicks, I'd suspect it is purely its personality and would not stress myself too much about it, but it may be trying to tell you something.

Yes, I belive in what the prewious posts report BUT..... Last year we had a board rock that could bring down the house with her chirping and remained that way all through the first 4 months. She was "different" and could always be found sitting with Skipper, our dog.
big_smile.png

The chick is not chirping as loud today. It is pretty much the same volume as the others. I believe she started the loud volume right after I changed the paper towels in the brooder. Come to think of it, they were all chirping more than normal. Maybe she didn't like the change to clean paper towels. Or maybe she was saying Thank You
lol.png
I will see what happens tomorrow when I change the paper towels again AND introduce 11 new chicks.

One of my EE pullets has been loud since we got her. Hence her name "Chirpy"... her little sister is named "Twerpy". It's just her personality.

Back
Top Bottom