Very LOUD Hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allieloveschickens, Sep 21, 2010.

1. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    My head hen Dottie was squawking her head off this morning at 7am, I thought something was out bothering the girls, but no just Dottie flapping around squawking and chirping and bawking, maybe she thinks she is a rooster. I was hoping she was laying an egg and it was the famed Egg Song, but no.. still no eggs! The girls are almost 6 months and nothing... Well hopefully Dottie doesn't keep up the noise every morning or my boyfriend and neighbors may decide its time for chicken dinner! [​IMG]

2. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    We had a couple hens doing that the other day... turns out, there was someone on the "prime" nesting box, and they were at her to get OFF IT!! lol Mind you, there were SEVEN other perfectly good places for laying just right there... but NOooooo. lol

3. allieloveschickens

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    haha silly chickens, I wish my girls would even just think about getting in the nest box!! [​IMG]

4. organicchef

organicchef Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    I think all of my 18 week old get "in" the nesting boxes.....but I think they're just playing bridge.

[​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    1 of my pullet make loads of noise about an hour before she lays you might find an egg today

6. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have a hen who makes that much noise when she is even thinking about laying an egg, if another hen is thinking about laying an egg, if no one is thinking about laying an egg- if someone is actually laying an egg, and/or if she just happens to hear some sort of chicken gossip juicy enough to share with the entire neighborhood. Plus...there is nothing melodious about her "song" - not sure why they call it that- sounds more like a rusty squeaky hinge with metal scraping across metal. She does lay a beautiful green egg, so I guess she thinks she has bragging rights [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Awww... you might have a talker on your hands! So cute!

I have 2 black Australorps who NEVER shut up! Its bwa-gawk, bwa-gawk, ALL day long. They share the name Chatty Cathy. They always run up to anyone and give them 'the business'- I dont know what they are saying, but it is obviously VERY important [​IMG]

The only way to shut them up is toss out the treats- and once those are gone, they quiet some, but they never really stop. Good thing I love 'em!!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a cochin bantam hen who carries on like that but it sounds like someone just told a joke and she is giving a good belly laugh! Very funny

9. allieloveschickens

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Well I'm glad to have this Loud Chicken moral support group! [​IMG] I brought out some spinach and cheese and Dottie quieted right down for chow time, I hope she gives me an egg today- I wouldn't mind all the early morning talk show so much then [​IMG]

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have a Buff Rock hen who lets out this bemoaning wail as soon as the coop is opened and doesn't stop until the gang is let out to range about 2 or 3 PM. Sounds like someone being killed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by