Very low incubation hatch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paisleychkfrm, May 14, 2016.

1. Paisleychkfrm

Paisleychkfrm New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    Hello,
    I am one week past Day 21 and decided that the last 10 out of 12 were not going to obviously hatch. I need to know what went wrong so I don't repeat this again. I kept temp at 99.5 (it sometimes spiked about 103) & humidity at 65%. I used Farm Innovators pro series (clearly not referring to the owner) circulated air incubator. So, air fan, egg turner, yadda yadda. I decided to open some and see what happened how far in the development they got. I've opened 3 so far. They are small with lots of yolk. Does anybody out there have any clue? Keep in mind these are from a line of Greenfire farm chickens that a friend of mine owns. Out of the two that hatched, one was smaller and had curled toes that needed to be corrected.
    Yes, I do have pics, but they are gross and I wasn't sure I should put that out there.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry about your bad hatch. From what you say it sounds like your humidity was too high. 65% is what it should be for lockdown, but not for the whole incubation. You should try running it at about 30% next time. Also if you only have one thermometer, you might want to check its accuracy with another one to be sure it's reading correctly.

3. Paisleychkfrm

Paisleychkfrm New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    30% humidity? Till lockdown? Wow!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, and just watch the air cell development. The most accurate way to keep track of it is weighing the eggs, but you could also compare to this chart:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pyxis gave you great information so I will just say Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by