1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Lucky chicks, new pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Well, this incubation has been very anxiety filled, on day 4 I went to work and left hubby and teenagers in charge, big mistake, came home to find incubator turned off, it was very quickly turned back on, and there was tears and telling off and then lecturing, wasn't sure if they were saved, then on day 11 came home from work to find incubator turned up by half a degree celcius, same problem fixed and then I ordered a candeling torch, decided at turning time to candle today and out of 14 eggs 8 have a little chicky moving inside, and 1 of the eggs is extra special as it is one of our girls, we had a rooster for 2 weeks, he was smaller than the hens and we weren't sure if the eggs were fertile, we had some under the broody hen, then some eggs were squashed and broken so we decided as it is a busy nesting box she won't move from and the other hens just go in sit on her and lay an egg which she promptly rolls under her to join her lot and have a few roll out the back we would hatch them in the incubator and then give her the day olds, she has adopted before very successfully, she even raised 2 batches a few weeks apart as she stole new babies from another hen, most are from a breeder, with welsummers, barnvielles (?) or something like that and some other breeds and her egg is crossed with she (a rhode Island Red) and a silver spangled hamburg rooster, I think it might be a day or 2 ahead of the other chicks, but we can deal with that, they are due to hatch on the 20th or around that day, so can't wait, will post pictures when they hatch and then may need to know some probable breeds,
    [​IMG]
    Some of the eggs on the incubator.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick number 1 hatched day 22 at 1210pm (Lucky 1)
    [​IMG]
    Chick number 2 pipping and zipping like mad
    [​IMG]
    And chick number 2 (Lucky 2) Hatched at 1246pm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Glad to hear some of them have been saved. good luck with them; cant wait for the pics!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I suggest that you keep a close eye on that husband of yours. Deliberately breaking things precious to the wife is a method of emotional abuse.

I can't imagine why your children would mess with the settings on your incubator unless they are unplugging it to run their video game player, or something like that. That issue can be resolved by moving the incubator to a different plug.

4. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    The husband was also upset after he slept a night on the lounge and now helps with turning and came to look at the wriggling chick in the egg, he was amazed we could see them, when I'm at work he has turned them a few times, the kids can no longer unplug the power, it is now taped into the power board and they are no longer aloud to use this plug for their games machines, they have their own plugs in their rooms, they can plug them in there. We now have 2 broody hens and another looks to be going that way, they were the 3 that raised the batch sharing motherly duties, thank goodness they all get along. They should do fine again, and they accept new babies really easily as well, we just pop them under a wing at night and in the morning they don't know the difference, even in size. Thanks, I hope they hatch and will post photo's when they do, fingers are crossed. [​IMG]

5. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay, so eggs were due to hatch yesterday, and low and behold we had a blackout for 8 hours, thank goodness we have 2 broody hens to mind the eggs, so we had to take them out of the incubator and pop them under the hens, but we had to put them back in the incubator when the power came back on as the other hens were curious as to what was happening and wanted to kick the broody girls out and jump on the eggs, so now we have two little chicks and the others are either wriggling around or pipped and chirping, they will all be named lucky, lucky 1, and lucky 2 are chirping and moving around rolling all the other eggs and waking all of them up, so they are all now chirping and moving around.[​IMG]

Pics at top, figured out how to edit. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Woke up this morning to find 8 baby chickens, it was still quite dark, so we have run them down to the chicken pen and they are under the 2 broody hens, they got 4 each, they are a mix of colours, I will take some photo's after work if their mamma's let me see them.[​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What sweet story! Can't wait for pics.

8. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay, fluffy pic following, not sure of half the breeds, and I think our cross bred chick is the one with the black strips.

[​IMG]

I think this one is the mix, below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Cute stuff [​IMG]

10. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    [​IMG] How sweet. I hope to be joining you next week with some new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by