Very mean hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennotrooster, Nov 28, 2012.

1. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    My RIR Sussex Rachel was put out of site and out of ear shot (about a block away) from the rest of the hens for 4 days. This morning I tried to let her back in with the other 5 girls and it was as if I had dropped Satan himself into the yard all the hens were having breakfast when I put Rachel back in and they all stopped eating, they felt her presence, it was as if she never left. Can we do a chicken exorcism? [​IMG]

Two had gone into the coop and were nestled down on their nests to lay well Rachel goes in and goes nest to nest and terrorized my girls till they left the nests and the coop. I went in they followed me back into the coop. Rachel had settled into one of the nests but decided to stand on a dividing board to stare the other two down I nudged her off she hopped back up we did this 3 times. One hen decided to leave but Rachel went for her pulled out some feathers so I snatched her up and put back out in the yard in her small area. I watched to see if the others would defend themselves against her but they did nothing so I intervened.

Short of soup I do not know what else to do she is just the most hateful animal I have seen. Her sister Phoebe has calmed down a lot since Rachel has been removed. She is still somewhat aggressive but nothing compared to what she was when Rachel was in the coop. Rachel did take the place of the roo and started to mount the girls while Phoebe pecked at them. Does she think she is a rooster and this is why she behaves like this I am totally baffled. Is this normal behavior many people have said they never seen hens this mean. HELP!!!!

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I'd probably try to rehome her in a flock with older hens. She could also be a bit stressed from being away. Usually I isolate the mean one with a couple others away from home in a large crate and then put them together at night. Mean hens can be tough...

3. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    I only have six hens and she and her sister are the oldest I did as you said. I separated Rachel one evening because she was attacking the the younger hens when they went in for the night, she rejoined them in the morning. She was fine for a few days then I took her out again it is as if she never left their yard when she goes back in. The younger hens are scared to death of her there is no peace when she is with them. Right now she is in a small area with a dog carrier for shelter but she sleeps on top of it do they not sleep where they lay their eggs. It seems that they will not go into the coop when it rains unless we gather them up and put them inside. They are as dumb as they are smart. Oh and I did the put them in at night thing and it was the same, she is mean.

4. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Old hens are generally pecky. If she isn't drawing blood or pulling feathers they should calm down in time. Do they have enough space in the coop?

5. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Rachel and Phoebe are both 1 1/2 years old the other 4 are 9 months old. They have a large fenced yard and only use the coop to sleep in and lay their eggs. Oh and the younger ones fly out and back in as they please they are all free range the older 2 have not figured out how to get over the fence they try to go through the fence holes. Rachel has drawn blood they they both pluck feathers out. Did I mention she will attack Speckles (my favorite) when I go out to the yard. Did I mention she will attack me for not letting her attack the others. She is mean.
    I isolated her the first time she drew blood and took her out of the yard the next time she has not gotten that aggressive again, but she will pluck feathers.

6. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    She was still on our property while away from the others we have 3 acres. I fixed her a spot behind the shop so she was in familiar territory.

7. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    If you are really attached to her I would try those pinless peepers.

8. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    What are pinless peepers? We sectioned off a part of their yard for her so she has her own area and the other hens came over to visit. I'm not really attached to her she has always been very aggressive I started calling her "soup" when she was about 3 weeks old even then she would take a poke at you when she was held or when given food she was head hen at 4 days old. She would peck at her sister at times. She's mean.

9. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Pinless peepers are placed on the face of the chicken and only allow the chicken to see down where it's food and water is. I think they are mostly used on game birds, but would probably work on an aggressive chicken of any breed.

10. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Worth a try I do not like having separated but I will not allow her to terrorize the others. She has such a strong presence. Thanks for the tip

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by