VERY mixed chicks. Any thoughts on breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Becci, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Back in November a friend was caring for his neighbor's farm while they were on vacation. They have a few 'mutt' chickens, and my friend was allowed to collect and do whatever he wanted to with the eggs. Well, he doesn't eat eggs, nor does he have chickens of his own so he gave them to me. Originally, I was going to eat them but ended up sticking 3 of them in the incubator, just because I could. [​IMG]

I'm almost positive it's going to be impossible to say anything other than "they have multiple breeds in them" with these guys. The one time I saw their parents, I noticed that they themselves definitely have more than 2 or 3 breeds in them. All the hens had feathered feet, but were all different sized and colored. Worth a shot I guess, so here goes...

On Dec. 8th 2 out of the 3 hatched, solid black with a white patch on their necks and feathers on their feet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Today they are almost eight weeks old. Here they are;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm positive that the one with the reddish colored chest is a rooster. The smaller one I am calling a girl. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well....... I was gonna say super mixed australorp but now not so sure seeing the feet......... sorry but that was the only one I could think of......

3. Becci

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Hmm...oh well, not gonna breed them. They'll just be pets, I don't guess it matters. [​IMG] Thanks for your reply!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're right on the genders, one of each.

I can see cochin in them, but not pure of course. Whatever else they have in them looks to have been straight combed and non feathered on the legs.

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    well they are very pretty!:D

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They look like Marans cross.

Chris

7. Becci

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Quote: Quote: Marans and Cochin.. hmm. I'm kind of upset about the one being a rooster. He's really sweet and I can't keep him. Thankyou!

Quote: Haha thankyou. Funny thing, everyone thinks they're just soooo ugly. I happen to think they're adorable. [​IMG]

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I dont think any chicken is ugly! They are unique in their own little chicken ways.:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by