Very neat event and swap meet thingy...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cetawin, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    we headed out to Pottsville for their annual Old Machinery show and swap meet. We had been told there were antiques and all sorts of neat demonstrations and etc.

We get there and find tons of old farm equipment and pre=gas era items like well pumps, a few first time mechanized items and just acres of old antiques to buy and etc.

I ended up buying a large and very old wire egg basket that was hand weaved, a couple old chick feeders, an old galvanized tub that reminded me of the one I was bathed in as a baby, a electric roaster made by Westinghouse in the late 50's (still works and I only paid 5 dollars for it complete with the original recipe book and all the parts) and then I started wandering through the demonstrations.

There was a group of women spinning on spinning wheels from different time periods and a group of women making rugs and tapestries with different era techniques. So, I took the rug making and tapestry making workshops and fell in love with some of the old styles. I bought one of the wooden needles to do them myself. One technique is a loop hooked method and one is a braided. it was too cool. Here is a pic of the wooden needle for the braided floor rugs

[​IMG]

Then I went to watch a broom maker. He was using an 1810 broom making machine that he built himself years ago. He was a wonderful older gentlemen who I was thrilled to find out, made the Nimbus 2000 broom, by hand, for the Harry Potter series.

I sat there and watched him make me a double layered, sorghum vulgere, hand braided cap broom circa 1797 style. My heart was leaping because I have been unable to find a good broom in the last 30 years and this one will last longer. Incredible! I paid $45 for the broom I watched be made and he is making me a cobbwebber that will have a 12' handle on it so I can get to the ceilings and in the corners. *bounce* here are pics of my new broom and the information card I got with it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

his website is http://www.broomshop.com

It was a really neat day trip and I wanted to share the info with you.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh wow, how luck you were!! I have been looking for a nice egg basket (pref. antique) for a while now, but the only ones I can find are on ebay and (I think) are over priced.
    The broon is gorgous and how neat that he hand made the Nimbus! [​IMG] And you got to meet him. WOW. [​IMG] Sounds like a wonderful day!!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It was great and ton of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by