1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very nervous here. Friend of a friend asked me to hatch peafowl eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Sep 4, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

YIKES.... I am new at hatching. 1st hatch was barnyard mix, to try it out .... great hatch 27 of 30. Now on # 2. Not as well. I have 7 of 11, and # 8 is not gonna make it. (Staggered hatch, more to come next week). I gave 1st hatch to an older lady who lost many of her flock to predators. She was just thrilled. Now her friend has asked me to hatch 2 peafowl eggs. She has a 1 yr old pair, and just got these eggs. Oh my gosh. What do I do differently, anything? Same as chickens?

The eggs are here now, and I am letting them rest a day. She had them in an egg carton with the small end UP. She said, "I've been turning them." Meaning end over end. So if I let them rest 24 hours, will that due?

Advise please! [​IMG]

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    well resting is good. peafowl are hard to hatch. humidity is very important has the temp. takes 28 days also. i found a link on google by looking up hatching peafowl. very imformative. sorry i cant help more. i have tried 15 with no luck hatching any

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Just tell her absolutely no guarantees, you'll do your best but peafowl are notoriously hard to hatch.

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I have tried unsuccessfully to hatch peafowl. Most recently, I had 2 clears & 2 bloodrings out of my 4 eggs. I have a cabinet incubator. My chicken & quail eggs are doing very well, so I know it's not temps. Good Luck.
    Also...
    Peafowl breeding season is over.
    Where did these eggs come from? I wouldn't be surprised if the are either old or not fertile.
    I just hope the lady that gave you the eggs is aware of that.

5. kathyinmo

That's exactly what I told her, that I would do my best, but that I had heard they are very difficult to hatch. She collected them this week, and waited until today in hopes of getting one more. Her pair are one year old.

Well, I am sure gonna try for her.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

6. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    If her pair are one year old, they will not be fertile.
    Two year old hens can lay fertile eggs sometimes when put with a 3 year old male, but a one year old pair will not get you chicks.
    Peacocks reach sexual maturity at 3 years old, when they have a full train.

7. kathyinmo

Aahhh, thank you for that information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by