Very new guy has some basic questions - help please.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tony F., Nov 13, 2008.

1. Tony F.

Tony F. New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    Hello,

I live in Gilbert AZ (near Phoenix). Can anyone recommend a place to get chicks? When are they available? I am thinking of either Leghorns or Rhode Island Reds - or some mix of both because I want good layers and I'm told those are good for that, and take the heat well. We're just beginning the adventure, so any recommendations welcome.

Thanks for any help,

Tony

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You can look in the buy/sell section for hatching eggs or for breeders in your area. There are hatcheries that ship chicks in the spring. Personally I'd recommend getting some eggs or chicks from one of BYCs sellers [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi, Tony, and welcome to BYC! You'll meet some great folks here who are very generous with their time and experience to help you make good choices. For starters, go to the FAQ section on here and read it from start to finish. It will answer many questions you may have. Also, there is a website (I'm sorry, I can't recall its location at the moment, but you could do a google or ask.com search and find it) that shows pix of different chicken breeds, their background, temperaments, laying norms, egg color, cold or heat hardiness, etc. and that should REALLY give you some good info to help you decide which breeds you'd like to try. See you around the forum! [​IMG]

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    First of all...[​IMG]. Below is a link of some hatcheries for your review. Ideal & Privett are the closest to you. A lot of forum members use Ideal Hatchery. Most hatcheries won't offer very many chicks until the spring though. Good luck in your chicken adventure! [​IMG]

http://www.mypetchicken.com/farmsHatcheries.aspx

6. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I would recommend ideal. they have a white leghorn that I think they call Ideal 236. I have gotten several and they lay the best of all my chickens. they do, however, lay white eggs. we like to get a variety of colors of eggs to make it interesting.

7. Tony F.

Tony F. New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks for the chicken chart! Great info. Now I just need to find them. Are chicks only available in the spring?

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I think Welp sells now. I just got some last month. All healthy and doing well.

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Just wanted to say [​IMG] Tony

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Tony F. :

Thanks for the chicken chart! Great info. Now I just need to find them. Are chicks only available in the spring?

I believe the hatcheries don't want to ship the chicks in the fall/winter months due to them getting too cold & possibly dying in shipment. Just shipping them in general is stressful on them & some are DOA when you get them so hatcheries will usually put in a few "packing peanuts" to ensure that you still get your full amount of chicks that you ordered. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by