Very (new) happy chicken mama here!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mtessdoan, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mtessdoan

mtessdoan Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Southern California
    Hi! We just got three girls last night and I couldn't be happier!! But.... I have no idea what I'm doing /: my sister has 10 chickens and has for years so she is a huge help but lives about 4 hours away so help is somewhat limited.

I've always wanted chickens but these girls came to us rather quickly so we are trying to sort it out as we go. We have a nice coop that I got from a friend who was expanding her flock. The kid who had these poor girls caged up with a dog said they're about 5 months old. He game me some feed but it's just corn and I'll be getting something more complete today.

They don't seem to be interested in any "treat" foods I've heard of, like strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, or kohlrabi greens :( they pick at it and then go scratch in the dirt. Hopefully they warm up soon!!

Also, my sister recommended how I search for ticks/flees/mites so I will be doing that today as well...

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Sounds like you are providing those hens with a much better life than they have had. Our chickens don't seem to like new treats until they are served them a couple of times (except for meal worms and watermelon). Good luck with your flock, and glad you joined us. There are a lot of people here with good advise.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Because these birds have obviously never experienced "treats" before, it can take them a while to warm up to them. A chickens first instinct is to "stay alive and eat what you ate yesterday since you are alive today". They will get used to new things over time. Just keep offering them up and pretty soon they will eat EVERYTHING, including things they shouldn't!

Stop by our learning center too for lots of great articles on raising your flock and keeping them happy and healthy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any questions about your birds, feel free to ask.

So make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Adb4090

Adb4090 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Pace, Florida
    Welcome! Oh my, thats terrible. I am glad to hear they have a new mom! I am new to chickens, too. Mine won't eat any whole vegetable either just yet. They do love sprouts though.

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG] Yep, if they haven't gotten many treats before they probably just aren't recognizing that it's food! They'll find out soon enough! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Their chicken feed is much more important that treats. Moving is very stressful to chickens and it can take a few weeks till they feel comfortable in new surroundings. Then they will be more apt to explore & socialize.

8. mtessdoan

mtessdoan Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Southern California
    Thanks all!! I got them scratch & feed organic layer corn/soy free, oyster shells, and mealworms and they seem to be quite excited about that! Also, any input on possible breeds?? Other than cute and fluffy, of course... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by