Very new... no laughing at my question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pajamama2, Aug 18, 2010.

1. pajamama2

pajamama2 New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    We just starting getting an egg a day from our 8 Leghorn chickens and couldn't be more excited about it. We can't wait for them all to kick in soon! My question for you is, how do you wash your eggs? (Remember I said not to laugh!) Is just dishsoap and water okay?

Oh, another question... Again, no laughing! We do not have any roosters. Could our eggs turn into chicks if left long enough? I've heard it both ways, yes and no.

Geez, another question... how long can an egg sit before it goes bad? We didn't eat our first egg just to be safe in case it sat for a while before we found it.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to visiting this board often. [​IMG]

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    You can not get chicks without a rooster..

It is actually better to not wash the eggs. It takes the bloom off. And egg will last a longer time if the bloom is left on the egg.

Just before you eat the egg, rinse under water..

If an egg is really dirty, was with mild water and soap. Eat that egg first..

Oh and an egg that has never been in a fridge before will last longer on the counter than an egg that had been in the fridge already..

There is a chart some where on egg keeping. I have to find the link..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Welcome to BYC.

You don't need to wash your eggs, in fact if you don't they will last longer. They have a protective "bloom" on them that keeps out bacteria. If they have poo on them, just gently wash that off with a damp paper towel.

Eggs will not turn into chicks without a rooster involved.

You can test whether an egg has laid around too long by submerging it in water. If it sinks it's good, if it floats it's rotten.

Congrats on your first eggs! [​IMG] I'm still waiting but have learned a lot on this forum.

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well... to answer your questions.

Not everyone washes eggs. I don't unless the egg is dirty and then just spot wash it. Some people use a fine sandpaper or dry paper twoel to clean them up. You don't want to wash off the protective covering around the egg called bloom. That keeps the bacteria and other stuff from entering the egg and also helps keep the egg from dehydrating quickly.

Nope, you eggs will never hatch if you do not have a rooster with your girls.

Eggs will be fine for a while, I don't know exactly how long but it is a while. Someone will come along and provide more info on that. To test and see if the egg is good, just put it in a bowl of water, if it sinks it is good if it floats throw it out. Anywhere in between is still good to eat, just open it in a bowl by itself before adding it to a pan.

5. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    [​IMG]

Q. We just starting getting an egg a day from our 8 Leghorn chickens and couldn't be more excited about it. We can't wait for them all to kick in soon! My question for you is, how do you wash your eggs? (Remember I said not to laugh!) Is just dishsoap and water okay?

A. I just use warm water and a soft cloth or a paper towel to clean eggs and pat dry, gently.

Q. Oh, another question... Again, no laughing! We do not have any roosters. Could our eggs turn into chicks if left long enough? I've heard it both ways, yes and no.

A. Sorry, if you do not have a roo with your hens, your eggs will not be fertile so no chicks, sorry again.

Q. Geez, another question... how long can an egg sit before it goes bad? We didn't eat our first egg just to be safe in case it sat for a while before we found it

A. You can solve this problem by checking for eggs at least once a day, that way you KNOW they are fresh!

You have found what I think is the best chicken forum to ask your questions, everyone here is friendly with a lot of knowledge that they are willing to share. good luck with your chickens

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If the eggs are dirty just rinse/wash with water only.

No rooster = no chick. And you still won't get any chicks with a rooster unless one of the hens sits on the eggs (which is not common with leghorns) or you stick them in an incubator.

How long an egg can sit depends on the environment. Down here in FL where it's 100 degrees right now I try not to leave mine outside more than 24 hours. Once collected they can sit on the counter top a few weeks before they go bad, and much longer in the fridge.

ETA: wow, about a million people posted while I was typing. [​IMG]

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
  8. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    [​IMG]

I am new to chickens too so I definitely am not laughing at your questions becasue I have the same ones!! Lucky you to have eggs! I didn't get any yet but my leghorns are only 11 weeks old so I have awhile to go yet!! [​IMG]

I can answer one of your questions. You do need a rooster to have fertile eggs and for chicks to develop.

Sorry, I can't be of more help but wanted to say welcome and you are not alone with your questions!!!

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Before you eat them,,, Dish soap and water is fine to wash your eggs...
    No Roosters... No chicks! You have to have both boys and girls to make little ones...
    If it's been hot where you are... I wouldn't eat any egg that I wasn't sure about... [​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Good luck! & [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by