Very new to geese molting?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luvchicks8, Aug 10, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My geese look awful there feathers are shedding rapidly and even there necks look thinner do to feather loss. Is this molting? My chickens have never gone through this so I know nothing about it. Feathers are all over my back yard and the geese seem to be constantly preening themselfs.

2. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes it is, it's perfectly normal!
    Our poor Jack has just gone through the moult when he spreads his wings all his flight feathers have gone but he now has lovely new quills coming and I'm sure he will back to being his lovely handsome self again!!!
    Our paddock looks like a fight in a duvet factory too!!!

3. grubbygirl

grubbygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Willamette Valley, OR
    One of my ganders has a particularly scrawny neck this molting season. Poor guy looks downright embarrassed out there.

1 person likes this.
  4. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I wanted to make sure it's molting I checked bugs there was none so I figured it had to be molting. They look awful so does the coop and yard.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Our yard looked like a bird got ran over by the mower, and some of the geese looked pretty shabby, but it is perfectly normal. I think the heat didn't help this year, it seemed to make them molt a lot harder.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:One of my male tolouse is named Jack,Bella and goose goose...goose goose got his name for goosing my dog all the time and I was aways yelling at him goose ..goose stop!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Please excuse the interruption but I am hoping someone can tell me how old geese are when they molt.?

8. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Mine are 3 and molting but I just got them a few months ago so I don't know how old they were there first molt.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If they are hatched in the spring, they should molt in the 'fall'. Now fall here seemed to be about mid-July as far as molting went, but I figure the spring 'babies' will molt later on. Then they'll molt twice a year every year, in the spring and fall. The molt we had here a few weeks ago could have been the spring molt? Who knows? [​IMG]

10. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    between the older ducks and all of the geese molting, it looks like some of them exploded out there with all the feathers flying around...good time for the wild birds to be nesting with all the good nesting materials available...I had duck feathers floating down from the tree tops last molt...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by