Very New to live chickens ..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChefBrenda, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ChefBrenda

ChefBrenda New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    howdy ya'll ... just got 4 chickens yesterday from my boyfriends ex-wife ... Not Bob, Blondie, Gertrude and one that has no name. They've not laid eggs in about 6 months ... their coop was next to some very large dogs. 3 of them are very active but Not Bob seems a little lethargic and just wants to lay down. Is that normal? She has a bunch of poop stuck to her behind. Just a little worried. Only chickens I've dealt with have been laying on my cutting board.

2. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Welcome to BYC!

Not Bob sounds very sick. I would start by getting the poop cleaned off of her. The next two most important things are to keep her hydrated and warm.

How is her weight compared to the other hens? You also need to learn to check her crop to see if she is eating. You should be able to find it on one of the healthy birds.

http://hencam.com/faq/diagnosing-a-sick-chicken/

E

3. ChefBrenda

ChefBrenda New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    She seems to be the same size as the others. She is drinking and they all slept in the coop last night. I live in South West Georgia, so it's not cold out for the birds. Keeping an eye on her.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Oh my. Not Bob needs that cleaned off. You might consider giving her a bath. They don't mind it too much if the temperature is warmer but not hot and no running water. My chickens did not mind the blow dry on warm either. They kind of enjoyed it.

There are a ton of reasons why they might not be laying. Stress, new environment, molting, broody, sick, wormy, age.

Other than not Bob, if they others are okay just give them time and good feed. I think I would be tempted to give them some wormer and some antibiotic in the water to be sure they are not all sick.

Welcome to the forum. After you clean up Not Bob post her progress on the emergencies page.

Caroline

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice here. Good luck!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC. Good luck with your new girls, hope Not Bob is doing better.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Do you mean you've had them six months and none are laying? Or is it six months since they last had eggs? I'm asking because maybe they aren't all hens. You mentioned being next to dogs - that could be stressing them to the point where they don't lay - they're too worried about being eaten.

10. ChefBrenda

ChefBrenda New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    It's been 6 months since they laid eggs. My boyfriends ex-wife had them penned up next to the large dogs. I am hoping once they are no longer stressed from the big dogs that they will start laying again.

Not Bob seems to be doing better. She still isn't as active as the other 3 but we are optimistic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by