Very new to non-mammals, concerned about new color in chick droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crossties, Feb 2, 2015.

1. crossties

crossties Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    East Texas
    We got 7 chicks of different mixed breeds from a local hobbiest almost two weeks ago. Chicks are all gaining weight, energetic, feathering out, etc. For the past three days we have seen what I would have suspected was berry stain in droppings in the cage. But it has been three days since they had some greek yogurt snack (some of the berry 'stuff' from the bottom got mixed in) and a little of a tomato. The day before, they were able to be outside for about a half hour on the lawn, but I am not aware of anything other than mostly dead grass and dirt in that location. Otherwise, they have only been in their cage, on pine shavings. I have seen three of the birds have this in their droppings, not sure of the others. I have seen blood in dog and cat stool, and it did not look like this at all, which is why I figured it was just an accidental berry. But for the last four days, they have had only the store feed- no other food. Could someone tell me if there is something we should be doing for these chicks?
    (We are their home until March, when they go to their farm home.)

after 20 minutes and even some hangout time on my arm (which always usually gets a few results) nobody would give me a "sample" this morning, but this is a pic from some from last night, with both 'normal' and 'berry color' on the chips. The color spreads on the chips just like a berry stain does when waxwings migrate through here. But I never would have thought it could take so long to move out of their system. ?

The chicks are on a medicated feed, but otherwise I suspect they have had no vaccinations or medications. I just wanted to be sure there is not a disease that could show this kind of symptom.[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Foods will definitely color their droppings. In addition, they will slough some of their intestinal lining at times.

I'd suggest you watch their behavior for signs of weakness or illness. There is a protozoa, usually referred to as cocci, which can cause rather heavy bleeding in the stool -- but the chicks will obviously be sick, unwilling to eat or drink much and lying around a lot. The medicated feed you are feeding is designed to help them build a natural immunity to this protozoa.

If they remain active, napping and running around during the day, eating and drinking well, you are probably seeing something which is normal.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Might be a good idea to get some Corid and treat them for coccidiosis. Here are the dosing directions (picture):
    [​IMG]
    FWIW, I always treat for severe.

-Kathy

4. crossties

crossties Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    East Texas
    By the end of 24 hours after this, we finally were done with purple poo. Goodness, I could not believe it took so long for it to work out of their systems!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by