Very new to raising chickens.....Need help!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by polekaat, Feb 29, 2016.

1. polekaat

polekaat Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    We have been wanting chickens for a long time. Last week we received 8 hens that are around 26-27 wks old. They needed to rehome them asap because of there situation, so they were given to us. They were all in one 4x4 box there whole life, on top of each other and most had missing back feathers. (They had never laid an egg either) We took them , the same day we built a 2 story coop with a nesting box for each of them. We built a water system with the nipples and hung a huge feeder. I am feeding them a really good layer feed 24/7 and scratch with grit and oyster shell 2xs a day. They seem to be very happy! Due to our weather and them being a surprise 8 days ago we haven't been able to put a run up, but we will be building there run this Friday. I have done a ton of research so I can do this right, but still have a lot to learn. Yesterday morning I got my first egg, which was so exciting!!!! I went out 3 more times yesterday before bed , and again this morning and there was nothing. When we got them, they did not no the breed so we took them to our local feed store and found out they are Easter eggers and Americana's. Today I noticed brown watery stool in the coop....They are acting normal and all came up for there loving like normal but should I be concerned? Will they all follow suit and start laying? Also when I got my first egg yesterday it wasn't in a nesting box it was on the floor in the corner of the coop, is this normal for a first egg? I also have a few that peck the others bad, so have ordered pinless peepers to put on them is this a good idea? I know it is very important to let them get out of the coop and get fresh air, but with out a run yet I am very concerned with letting them roam. We live in the eastern plains of Colorado and on a lot of property, other ranchers that live near us and also have chickens have warned us not to let them free range because a lot of them have lost chickens and other animals out here because of the over population of predators. I just want my girls to be happy, healthy and great layers! I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make sure that happens. Any advise or knowledge would be great! Thank you in advance!
    Christina

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Christina and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard. Don't worry about your girls not knowing where to lay - its all a new learning curve for them (as well as you) so in time, they should begin to lay in the nests. At this moment, i would not worry about the poop, since they are in a new environment with new food etc and that can upset things. With any new birds, i personally opt to deworm them (other members do not, its just what i prefer to do) and maybe if you put electrolytes / vitamin supplements in their water it will help give their immune system a boost which helps when they are stressed, to fight off infections.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken. Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

Hope this helps a little.
    All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. polekaat

May 5, 2015
    Thank you so much CT! I had planned on deworming them today, and also getting them vitamins! So I am glad you suggested that, makes me feel better in wanting to do so. I love this site, I have learned so much!

Chrisitna

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are more than welcome Christina, and yep, this site sure is the best place for anything chicken! [​IMG]

Good luck

CT

5. polekaat

May 5, 2015
    Also should my other girls start laying, now that one has?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    In theory, but then again, all chickens are different. I have one young lady that has not yet laid, but her sisters having been doing so for 6 weeks! She squats for me (I have no rooster) so thats a sign that she is sexually mature and has a bright red comb so i hope she will soon begin to lay, but goodness knows when! I think a photo of a crockpot on the coop might work - what do you think? [​IMG]

CT

1 person likes this.
  7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Seeing that you have gotten some excellent advice I'm just going to say; welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!

8. polekaat

May 5, 2015
    Ok good, then I will just be patient! That would be funny!

9. polekaat

May 5, 2015
    Thank you! Birdrain92

10. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    You're welcome.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by