1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very new to this - chicks hatching today! need advice...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by catballou24, Jul 14, 2008.

1. catballou24

catballou24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    we have a hen that has gone broody so have been letting her sit on a clutch of about 14 eggs. today when i went out to feed them, one of the eggs had most of the shell gone with some membrane still around and what looked to be a very wet chick laying in it...it wasn't completely hatched or anything, and mama hen wouldn't let me in for a good look. i don't know if it's alive or not...how long does it take for them to emerge from the shell? it's been humid and hot here, so i am thinking the humidity is making it take longer. she's been sitting on the eggs for just about 21 days...maybe 22. it's right on time for them to hatch, but since we are not sure what we are looking for and were a bit surprised by this to begin with, i don't know really what to do right now. we have a separate coop area for her and the babies once they do hatch. i just don't know if any will make it.

can anyone point me in the direction of what to look for, etc..? we've been reading and everything says that if the hen is hatching them, to leave them alone, so we have been. its the actual hatching process that we are not finding too much info about...i mean exactly what happens when a chick comes out of the egg and how it should look, etc...

now that we know we have fertile eggs however, we are going to invest in an incubator for next time.

thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Edited...I misread your post! It will complete hatching soon. As long as the membrane is partially opened, the chick can breathe. Good luck!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  3. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    well..i'm pretty sure that first one didn't make it. i just went out to check and there is still a little shell on it and no movement. i can only see part of it from under mama hen, so i guess i'll just let it be and see what happens. she's being extremely protective today...won't let me too close anyway. [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Maybe its resting. [​IMG]

5. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    just went out to check again and that one is no where to be seen...i've looked all over the coop and can't find a body or anything! i don't know what to make of it. the mom got off the nest to run around with the rest of the chickens and another was sitting on the eggs...nothing under her moving around yet that i could tell but i couldn't get close enough to mama to see if there was a chick with her. she was under trees and bushes...so i don't know what to think now! [​IMG]

6. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    well..i found it and it's very dead...but fully formed. just still had half it's shell on it so i'm not sure what to think. it was big for a chick too. so maybe was too big for it's shell? i'm anxiously waiting to see what will happen with the others...if anything. at least i know my rooster is doing his job! hahah so we can get an incubator and try that if these don't work out...[​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sorry...perhaps you'll have better luck with your incubator. It can be tough both ways...[​IMG]

8. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    I hope you get some chicks, it would be bad if all didn't make it. I have eggs pipping today also in my bator.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping for the best. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by