very new to this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by azais, Jun 14, 2016.

1. azais

azais New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi all I recently got my family 4 chickens for eggs/pets and they are all supposed to be hens, I am not so sure about my New Hampshire Red though. Can anyone tell by the pictures? They are all just over 2 months[​IMG][/IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The NH in the middle is a cockerel. The other three are all pullets.

3. azais

azais New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Cockrell means rooster right?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

Yes, a cockerel is a young male. Once he turns one year old, he is considered a rooster.

Same with hens...they are pullets until one year of age. :)

5. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I would agree with QueenMisha

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    me too.

7. livesinga

livesinga Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2016
    Roberta, GA
    I am very very new to being a mommy to 2 wonderful and beautiful 12 week old silkies. I have had them almost a week now and have some questions...I know they are very basic questions, but I am trying to jump start my knowledge to be the best mommy I can be!
    1. I have 1 laying hen, she lays 1 egg every other day, is this about right?
    2. I have 1 VERY loving Silky who lets me pet her, hold her, love her. The other does let me hold her - but only if I catch her first! She's FAST!! And loves to run! She's not laying yet, and appears to be less social (these are sisters raised together so no difference in the first 12 weeks.....) both DEFINITLEY have their own personalities!
    3. Although I am in GA, I am already looking into what I will need for the winter to keep the babies warm. Does anyone have ideas on if a water warmer is worth it or not, or do they suck up to much electric and keep the water too hot? Does 1 heat lamp (lower 160 level) work ok to keep them warm? (There may be 2 more Polish babies once winter hots, depends on my husband but by the time they hatch I think I can convince him)
    4. I've heard SO many options on what to use as substrate in the nesting boxes. Some swear by hay, but I've been told it gets moldy. I am currently just using wood chips (flake)

Any info at this point would help, I have read all I can but of course no writer agrees with the other and I would rather hear from actual individuals!

Thanks, and yes, I know I am very new to this. :)

8. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I use straw over peat moss in my quail pens. Doesn't stink or mold like hay.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by