Very new.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarbiB, Nov 2, 2015.

1. BarbiB

BarbiB New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    I tried to post before but it looks like it didn't work. I have 20 week old black stars and red stars. 14 hens and one rooster. I got my first egg yesterday. Looking forward to what comes next. Any advice or ideas on what I can expect over the next few weeks?

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG] and congratulations on your first egg [​IMG]

My advice is to make sure that they are being fed layer pellets because it is formulated for laying hens. Provide oyster shell in a separate dish so they can supplement themselves with extra calcium if they need it. A laying hens calcium stores get depleted in order to make the shell for the eggs.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Free Spirit has given you some good advice for your new layers. It looks like you can expect lots of eggs before long.

4. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    The eggs will start off small and eventually get bigger. You may also find a soft shelled egg which is okay if they just started laying.

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing getting that first egg. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Barbi, I see many, many eggs in your future.[​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by