Very new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by j7sew56, Feb 10, 2015.

1. j7sew56

j7sew56 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    Cleveland
    Hi my husband and I live in the city and want to raise chickens . We need advice first on what type of coop . We want at the most 4 chickens

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. The recommend floor area for a coop is a minimum of 4 sq. ft. per bird (more is better). That means with 4 chickens you will need a minimum floor area of 16 sq. ft. in your coop. Again, more is better as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. If you are going to keep your birds in confined runs or pens (as opposed to free ranging them), you need a minimum ground area of 10 sq. ft. per bird, or 40 Sq. ft. for 4 birds. Again, more is better for the previous reason that I gave. My advice is to get as large a coop as you can afford. You may decide later on that you want more chickens (chicken math is very addicting) and even if you don't, the more space your birds have the better off they will be. There are a lot of coop ideas that you can look at in our coop section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop.

1 person likes this.
  3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If you're able to get a new or used shed, they can be set up as very nice coops with a few modifications (addition of roost bars, nest boxes, pop door). I recently converted a 10 x 14 shed into a coop and LOVE having the space for my 10 hens plus their feed containers, etc. If you go this route, be sure to include windows for ventilation and light.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would help to know what the climate is like in your area. Coops for very hot areas differ from the ones for very cold.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael has given you great advice.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

You've received some good advice already from the above posters! You may find more information and coop designs at this link: Chicken Coop Designs

Good luck with any future poultry adventures!

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

You've been given some good advice already! I'd be sure to check out the Coops page that Wyandottes7 linked to. The Learning Center may be helpful, too.: Learning Center Articles

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by