Very Noisy Egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crait, Mar 5, 2009.

1. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AA5cGVC78Q
    This
    is a video of my hen, Fran, laying an egg.
    She's actually laying, not setting or anything like that.
    She laid about 3 more times, then she started setting for her first time. Is this natural?
    Plus, I stopped her from setting because I wanted to move her into her cage to be safe but she hasn't laid since and it's been about two weeks. She started setting around February first. Is she supposed to lay again after she stops setting?

2. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Fran is a bit noisy, not like my Wellsummer or Ameracauna hens. That is really special, Thank you!

[​IMG]

3. crait

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    So it's normal?
    [​IMG]

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Aw, I love the sound the hens make when you disturb them laying. it's so cute! My chickens will do that when I go up to their nest and stroke them.

i think they do lay after they set, [​IMG]

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I think putting her in the cage broke her from being broody and she would likely lay again if you allow her out of the cage back to free ranging or whatever she was doing before.

6. crait

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, but I've done that.
    All I did was stick her into her coop for the night so she wouldn't get eaten by dogs or vampires or anything. Then, I let her our the next day. She tried setting but I put her in her coop that night, and took her back our the next day to run around.
    I did that a few days in a row and now she's back to normal but she isn't laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by