Very Noisy flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oaklandgurlz, Sep 28, 2016.

1. oaklandgurlz

oaklandgurlz New Egg

Dec 19, 2015
    I have 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes who are often vocal but today are really loud. One hen in particular seems to get started but then the rest of the flock joins in. Really annoying my otherwise tolerant neighbor. I checked her for egg bound but couldn't feel anything.
    Yesterday I did give them some several heads of leftover lettuce and cantaloupe. They've never reacted badly to this in the past.

Any suggestions?
    Bryan

2. oaklandgurlz

oaklandgurlz New Egg

Dec 19, 2015
    May have figured it out. Four hawks just flew in to the neighborhood.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Guess it can depend on lots of variables (most of which I certainly cannot discern). Today, for example, my whole flock was noisy - dunno why - other days its like they have been smoking something illegal, they are so laid back. With my flock, hawk attacks for sure illicit the behaviour Wyorp describes, but if they are around and have not made an attempt to take a bird, then they can make noise like its going out of fashion. And egg laying is a cause for flock celebrations, for sure (you'd think the novelty would wear off, after laying almost every day [​IMG])

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I think what your normally tolerant neighbor might be tying to say is "their out of eggs!" [​IMG]
    Otherwise, they can probably understand that you haven't done anything to deliberately upset their day and get over it. [​IMG] Assuming it doesn't become a NEW uncomfortable norm. It's good not only to have, but also to be a good neighbor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by